• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

filtration system ideas advice?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hello, so i bought a house in hopatcong, moving my fish tank over this week ive been buying all my water for the tank in 5 gallon jugs for water changes got really annoying now haha, so im thinking of getting water filter system for cooking water / fish tank but dont really want to slow my water flow down since its already semi slow and dont want to waste a whole ton washing dishes was thinking of just splitting a water line from the main in my basement to a RO system and just make a reserve tank in there any ideas?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So for a reef tank you need RODi.
I would only use the RODi for the reef.
I would tell you to buy one of the bull reef supply RODi. The reason why is the installation is easy? Everything is in one box. The RODi systems bulk reef supply sells are setup for reefs so you know everything is safe. (No copper/metals)
They sell a lot of different ones so depending on your tank size and water quality.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
So for a reef tank you need RODi.
I would only use the RODi for the reef.
I would tell you to buy one of the bull reef supply RODi. The reason why is the installation is easy? Everything is in one box. The RODi systems bulk reef supply sells are setup for reefs so you know everything is safe. (No copper/metals)
They sell a lot of different ones so depending on your tank size and water quality.
how do you have yours connected? whole seperate line or you got it connected to the kitchen sink ?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
how do you have yours connected? whole seperate line or you got it connected to the kitchen sink ?

I have my setup in the basement. I have it off the main line. So that I have as much water pressure as possible.
But I have a big system with a 220 gallon tank 3 x 50 gallon frags and a 100 gallon sump. I change and make a lot of water.
What size tank do you have?

Attachments

• 4C07DF98-A963-4F2B-8087-A6192EB9DEF7.jpeg
    4C07DF98-A963-4F2B-8087-A6192EB9DEF7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • EAD76FF0-B1A9-4E04-96DC-76F683E405F6.jpeg
    EAD76FF0-B1A9-4E04-96DC-76F683E405F6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What you need is a dual system setup that has both a 3 - 5 gallon storage tank and a DI setup (that is not used for the drinking water). Here is an example diagram....note, not all filters are necessary. I would also use a "standard" canister type for my DI filter. So this is just an example showing the setup.

Dual RO DI water system.png

So when you wanted "cooking water" you use the special faucet (21 in the picture. When you want "fish" water, you open the valve (#13). Again, I would use a standard canister for DI (#16), and not that one shown in the picture.

One more thing, I would make #11 a tee valve so that you don't get storage tank water coming back through the DI. You don't want that to happen.

Hope this helps.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Wow. No means to hijack but have to thank Paul for the pic.
That's the exact layout of my home system minus the split and DI in step 16.
Never gave it too much thought but now may be modifying the house system (but instead of a T near 16 might drop in a flow restrictor between 16 and 17, or both).

Rodi going to a storage bin, you connect a float valve to the end so you let it run overnight and it will stop the flow once the container is full.