• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Finally got a pic -- what is this?

I've got a few of these critters running around my tank. I've spent HOURS looking throug pics and haven't seen anything like this. Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• tankshots_029.jpg
    tankshots_029.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 9
looks like an amphipod(spelling). on the ruler is that a half " if some are bigger than that it could be some kind of shrimp. keep your eye on them. if they are just ampipods then they are good things.

they are good that means your tank is doing great if you have to many of them get yourself a madarin goby and he'll be nice and fat thats all they eat is pods and they are amazing looking

Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks :D

That was a 1/2" mark on the ruler. I had to crop the pic to get in under the size limit. I feel bad now because I had just gotten another piece of live rock and dipped in in fw. About 10 of those guys fell out and died -- but my tank has lots more. They're not a problem yet. I'm still teaching myself to not overfeed and battling my 3rd diatom bloom, so they're fairly well fed. I've not wanted to buy anymore fish until I finished with the LR -- which I think i finally am, and the mandarin is what I wanted to get :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Better to do a dip in salted selzer (at the same SG as your tank). The critters will come hopping out like mad, but will be rescuable (is that a word? LOL) if they are desireables.