• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fire!!! on my tank... Questions

Well.... I think I found another clue....

Those bars weren't surge protectors.... they were basically taps....

I've bought the correct stuff now...

just be careful.. I have had gfci adapter / protectors shut off if there is a power surge or loss of electricity enough to trip the adapter. I now keep a lighted extension cord from the battery backup UPS connected GFCI adapter to the surge protectors just so I can visually see it is on. Otherwise it may trip and I would not know a thing.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One trick I have learned over the years of owning multiple tanks and using power strips is to plug up any unused sockets with the plastic safety caps you use to keep babys from playing with electrical sockets.

The logic is its harder to get water into the strip if all the plugs have **something** plugged into it.

I added up all of my equipment on my tank and even if everything is running at the exact same time (heaters, lights, pumps) it still only adds up to about 6.5 amps. The powerstrip and GFCI are both rated for up to 15 amps which should put me well within the safety zone, but after seeing those pictures, and knowing that my dogs are home all alone during the day, makes me really kinda nervous.

pgordemer said:
One trick I have learned over the years of owning multiple tanks and using power strips is to plug up any unused sockets with the plastic safety caps you use to keep babys from playing with electrical sockets.

The logic is its harder to get water into the strip if all the plugs have **something** plugged into it.

Good tip! I never thought of that. I'm gonna steal that idea too! :)

lithivm said:
what do you have in terms of equipment?

3X95W VHO bulbs, 2x150W heaters, 2 mj1200's plus 1 mj1200 for the skimmer, 1 mag7 return pump, and when I am mixing up more saltwater I have 1 more 150 watt heater, and 1 mj1200 to stir it.

Being an electrical engineer by trade.
GFI is only trips in the case of perhaps the power strip getting in touch with water. Hence GFI is used in bathrooms with water being everywhere.

This looks more like a classic overload especially if your other breakers had tripped in your basement.

I suggest splitting the load more evenly. Metal Halides draw alot of current.

He had mentioned his his breakers in the basement blew open. During an overload the wires will over heat and just burn up. I deal with electrical motors and with overloads the cables heat up and with a overload relay that is set to the proper amperage it would trip. But with a power strip all they have is an internal mini breaker for like 5 - 10 amps for short circuits. Really not meant for overloading the circuits. Basically his cables turned in fuse and burned up. That is why we all have a circuit breaker panel in our houses as back up.

This is an eye opening thread.

Glad it wasn't any worse for you.

... I'll be reinspecting all power strips ASAP that's for sure