• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First ICP Test Results are in ! Help !

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Howdy,

I got my first ICP results back and I'm concerned with silicon. My RO water seems to have it either through storage (55 gallon food safe barrel) the tubing 30 foot hose or just naturally from the tap. Can I add a canister or something to remove it? How do I remove it from the tank?

Additionally I see high aluminum. I have marine pure blocks in my tank at the reccomended amount per my 30 gallon AIO tank. I've read that they're a major cause for elevated aluminum. Should I remove them? Will my nitrogen cycle get messed up due to removing beneficial bacteria ? How do I remove the aluminum?

It claims my iodine is low? Is this of concern?

Screenshot_20201022-063123.png

Screenshot_20201022-063133.png

Ro
Screenshot_20201022-072553.png

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
You said "RO" and I am assuming you have a RODI not a RO unit. Usually when the DI unit is depleting, you will start to have silicon pass through the DI unit. Do you have a diatom problem? If you don't have a problem with diatoms, then there is no need to be concerned.

Marine Pure blocks: A few years ago people were having problems with aluminum. If I remember correctly those blocks were bought not from a reputable business...ebay and amazon. The packaging was identical to MP. Those contained aluminum. I have MP blocks in my tank that were purchased from BRS and have never had a problem with aluminum.

Wish I had an answer for you but I’ve never seen a water test that involved.
Where did you get that test done and what does it cost. And the big question is
Do you really have to have a test like that done is it important or just preference
Have great day n hope you get the answer your looking for,, I’m sure the reef peeps here can help (more than I could)

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Wish I had an answer for you but I’ve never seen a water test that involved.
Where did you get that test done and what does it cost. And the big question is
Do you really have to have a test like that done is it important or just preference
Have great day n hope you get the answer your looking for,, I’m sure the reef peeps here can help (more than I could)
It's an ICP test done through API. It's reccomended to do one once a quarter for larger picture items like metals etc. It's not a hobby grade test it's a high accuracy test.

I hope I find them too

silicon is usually related to RO water. I would check that and possibly swap out the di resin, membrane and carbon blocks.
Also noticed your ALK and calcium are really high. Are you dosing and what salt do you use. To me that is the main concern

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
silicon is usually related to RO water. I would check that and possibly swap out the di resin, membrane and carbon blocks.
Also noticed your ALK and calcium are really high. Are you dosing and what salt do you use. To me that is the main concern
I dose both alk and calcium daily.

My target is 9dkh and 450 Ca which I'm in range. Those numbers aren't that off?

I am looking at a new ro system. The last attachment is RO system which shows high silicon as well.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
What kind of sand do you use ?
High silicone can come from your sand.
Not replacing your RODI will also cause you to have silicon. The way you remove it is by water changes with water that doesn’t have silicone.

Iodine is low that could be because of you cheato. You can dose iodine as needed.

High aluminum that can come from different sources.

This is just one test. You should make changes and do another test in a few weeks and see what changes.

Chemi pure blue will get rid of silicone and aluminum.

Boyd Enterprises Chemi-Pure Blue Filtration Media for Aquarium, 11-Ounce (2 Pack) Amazon.com : Boyd Enterprises Chemi-Pure Blue Filtration Media for Aquarium, 11-Ounce (2 Pack) : Pet Supplies

Attachments

• 5E73BC10-C0C1-4B07-B98B-B5D6C0022436.png
    5E73BC10-C0C1-4B07-B98B-B5D6C0022436.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
What kind of sand do you use ?
High silicone can come from your sand.
Not replacing your RODI will also cause you to have silicon. The way you remove it is by water changes with water that doesn’t have silicone.

Iodine is low that could be because of you cheato. You can dose iodine as needed.

High aluminum that can come from different sources.

This is just one test. You should make changes and do another test in a few weeks and see what changes.

Chemi pure blue will get rid of silicone and aluminum.

Boyd Enterprises Chemi-Pure Blue Filtration Media for Aquarium, 11-Ounce (2 Pack) Amazon.com : Boyd Enterprises Chemi-Pure Blue Filtration Media for Aquarium, 11-Ounce (2 Pack) : Pet Supplies
Should I use elite ? I've heard it's better for a dollar or two more.

I've changed my carbon and sediment filters 6 months ago? Membrane is due soon but still reading 0tds water ? I use am RO buddie.. should I look at a higher quality 5-7 stage system?

Aluminum is due to marine pure and probably ceramic plugs. Just need to reduce it somehow

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Should I use elite ? I've heard it's better for a dollar or two more.

I've changed my carbon and sediment filters 6 months ago? Membrane is due soon but still reading 0tds water ? I use am RO buddie.. should I look at a higher quality 5-7 stage system?

Aluminum is due to marine pure and probably ceramic plugs. Just need to reduce it somehow

Zero tds is zero so if you are getting zero you should be fine.
I have A 7 stage but I have a huge tank.
I like the BRS RODi filter better than all the others.

Chemi pure blue is for salt water and it includes resin. I haven’t used it in years since I don’t have any silicates. Chemi pure elite is only carbon.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Zero tds is zero so if you are getting zero you should be fine.
I have A 7 stage but I have a huge tank.
I like the BRS RODi filter better than all the others.

Chemi pure blue is for salt water and it includes resin. I haven’t used it in years since I don’t have any silicates. Chemi pure elite is only carbon.
I'm thinking of looking at a brs system - maybe when they go on sale

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The buddy system is fine IMO but what actually counts is the actual filter cartridges used in the system. Personally, no need to swap out the system but I would look into some good quality sediment and carbon blocks cartridges.

BRS does make a solid filter cartridges which are universal for most units.

The silicone is coming from the water source so upgraded cartridges should work out.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I wouldn't use chemi pure elite as from personal usage, that stuff is really potent and can strip out your water really quickly. CPE does contain a resin (of some sorts) and gfo so if you do use it, start off small

It's an ICP test done through API. It's reccomended to do one once a quarter for larger picture items like metals etc. It's not a hobby grade test it's a high accuracy test.

I hope I find them too
And what does it cost to do that test and how long did it take to get your results

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
The buddy system is fine IMO but what actually counts is the actual filter cartridges used in the system. Personally, no need to swap out the system but I would look into some good quality sediment and carbon blocks cartridges.

BRS does make a solid filter cartridges which are universal for most units.

The silicone is coming from the water source so upgraded cartridges should work out.
The BRS sediment filters fit in buddie ???

I think I'll add a second di resin canister (aka buy a two stage resin system) and change filters

What would you do to remove silicon and aluminum?

Do you normally run your tank at that high of a DKH.
also. Based primarily on the nitrate level. When was last time you did a water change. Perhaps some of your elevated readings are from simple buildup and a good old fashion water change might just be what the doctor ordered

Do you normally run your tank at that high of a DKH.
also. Based primarily on the nitrate level. When was last time you did a water change. Perhaps some of your elevated readings are from simple buildup and a good old fashion water change might just be what the doctor ordered
Keep it simple is my moto,, less over thinking less headaches

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The BRS sediment filters fit in buddie ???

I think I'll add a second di resin canister (aka buy a two stage resin system) and change filters

What would you do to remove silicon and aluminum?
The membranes will fit, but depending on your unit, the option may be to replace the cartridge. I had a generic unit a while back that allowed me to to replace the cartridges.

Like mentioned, maybe do a series of water changes then set up another ICP test to see what happens.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Randy at reef2reef said it's not much to worry about. Aluminum isn't high enough to be of a concern.

I think I'll start by adding a second di resin canister.

Sponge you ask about high dkh. I think the test is a little skewed as I test couple days a week and it's 9dkh

Gotta tell ya. In this rare case, I hope your wrong. I mean if the “professional level” ICP test is a little skewed. And we are trusting the hobby grade kit over that ICP test. Then what’s the point. However. Sounds like either way a second test is in order... if you don’t trust the DKH results you got from ICP than how can we trust the other aspects of the same test.