• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First nano tank - 30L NUVO Fusion

Hello everyone - I am posting here to log my first tank. It is an innovative marine nuvo fusion 30L that I started 4/28/19. I am new to this hobby so bare with me! I will be posting progress pictures and will probably be asking a million questions along the way. I am located in the Jefferson Township/West Milford area.

ebac656687f238e1714c62d4450db5b4.jpg

Here is what we have going on so far... The few frags I have started are: devils hand, Kenya tree, ricordea mushroom (Florida), candy cane, hammer, zoa, palythoa, and a bullseye mushroom.

I am only a few weeks in so any help, tips, advice is all very much appreciated!

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Hello everyone - I am posting here to log my first tank. It is an innovative marine nuvo fusion 30L that I started 4/28/19. I am new to this hobby so bare with me! I will be posting progress pictures and will probably be asking a million questions along the way. I am located in the Jefferson Township/West Milford area.

ebac656687f238e1714c62d4450db5b4.jpg

Here is what we have going on so far... The few frags I have started are: devils hand, Kenya tree, ricordea mushroom (Florida), candy cane, hammer, zoa, palythoa, and a bullseye mushroom.

I am only a few weeks in so any help, tips, advice is all very much appreciated!
wow that looks awesome! love it great rock structure only think i can recommend is watch out for coral placements i had my hammer too close to a SPS stick and it literally stung it to death within a few hours learned the hardway!

wow that looks awesome! love it great rock structure only think i can recommend is watch out for coral placements i had my hammer too close to a SPS stick and it literally stung it to death within a few hours learned the hardway!

Thank you - I have my hammer kind of isolated for that reason lol.

cce35241c83514c9501165949959abd8.jpg

The hammer is plugged in the sand, to the left of the middle rock.

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a little more about your tank. That rock looks awesome. Did it come from an established tank? Or did you buy live rock? It’s amazing how far you have gotten in such a short time. I mean 15 days in my world that’s a record. It took 8 weeks for my tank to cycle (but I had dry rock and sand). I started back in October and my first frag went in to quarantine yesterday. I’d say I’m more than impressed. Best thing you can do is ask questions. the only dumb question is the one not asked. There are a lot of very seasoned reef keepers here that I am sure will have answers or advice for anything you need. So once again. Welcome to the club and super looking tank. Also there is a club meeting this Saturday. Great chance to meet people in the hobby and talk tank you should consider coming.

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a little more about your tank. That rock looks awesome. Did it come from an established tank? Or did you buy live rock? It’s amazing how far you have gotten in such a short time. I mean 15 days in my world that’s a record. It took 8 weeks for my tank to cycle (but I had dry rock and sand). I started back in October and my first frag went in to quarantine yesterday. I’d say I’m more than impressed. Best thing you can do is ask questions. the only dumb question is the one not asked. There are a lot of very seasoned reef keepers here that I am sure will have answers or advice for anything you need. So once again. Welcome to the club and super looking tank. Also there is a club meeting this Saturday. Great chance to meet people in the hobby and talk tank you should consider coming.

It is all live rock that I got from Sea Level Aquarium in Pine Brook - Warren and Steve over there have been a great help in guiding me through the setup, so all kudos to them.

I work Saturdays (automotive retail) but where do you all meet and what time do the meetings run?

The meetings are usually at members houses and could pretty much be anywhere in the state. They run from 12:00 to 5:00 basically eating, talking, sometimes raffles that sort of thing. And course checking out a members tank. The one this Saturday I believe is in point pleasant but there is a link on the home page of this forum

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I also have a IM 30 L currently dealing with bryopsis ! Make sure you dip and treat your corals !!

I started my tank back in March I believe now or early April!

No fish?

I also have a IM 30 L currently dealing with bryopsis ! Make sure you dip and treat your corals !!

I started my tank back in March I believe now or early April!

No fish?

No fish yet... thinking I will wait until the coral start to progress more. Maybe 90 days in or so I’ll start thinking about fish.

Are you new to reefing too or do you have experience ?

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
No fish yet... thinking I will wait until the coral start to progress more. Maybe 90 days in or so I’ll start thinking about fish.

Are you new to reefing too or do you have experience ?
I've helped my brother with his 65 DT over the last 5 years. I know roughly what's going on but I feel I surpassed him in reef knowledge over the passed 3 months lol.. I'm a little more dedicated than he.

I've helped my brother with his 65 DT over the last 5 years. I know roughly what's going on but I feel I surpassed him in reef knowledge over the passed 3 months lol.. I'm a little more dedicated than he.

It’s been a fun and exciting start. Trying to gather as much info and knowledge as I can along my journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4549d8924fb8458ce2a3b0fa9b39747f.jpg

Here is an updated pic of the tank - trying to find a good spot for the devils hand (it is currently to the back left of the middle rock), it is getting better flow but I’m not sure if the lighting will be suitable because it is being shaded by the nuvo’s pump head... what do you guys think? I’m pretty happy with the rest of the coral placement.

Nothing will tell you more than time and observation. I know that sounds like a cop out. But it is the truth. The coral WILL “talk” to you if your willing to listen. (Observe)

Hey guys, just added a montipora frag earlier this week and I noticed a white algae looking substance on it today when I got home (it was not there yesterday). Any idea on what it is or if it is anything to be concerned about?

6f1220ce4f82d9716c8b14e1c2643fb3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, just added a montipora frag earlier this week and I noticed a white algae looking substance on it today when I got home (it was not there yesterday). Any idea on what it is or if it is anything to be concerned about?

6f1220ce4f82d9716c8b14e1c2643fb3.jpg

Update : got up this morning and one of the snails was on top of the monti eating/picking at it...

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Everything is coming along great ! I removed the chalice, it looked to be dying - thinking it had flatworm from when I picked it up...

I will post some updated pics tonight of everything else !

awesome man! i still have my tang, goby, and damsel in QT for Ich taking forever waiting for the DT to clear so i can restock my fish tank is so lonely