• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First Reef Tank - Beginning the Journey

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for welcoming me into the club.

I am currently in the planning phase of starting up my first reef tank and RODI System. Below is a list of the equipment I am looking at acquiring. I already have a 50 Gallon Tank (48x12x20) and a nice stand to go with it.

Some things that have been going through my head include the battle between using an HOB Refugium vs Sump/Refugium. Was thinking of starting out with the HOB and maybe in the future move to a Sump. Not very comfortable with drilling holes in the tank just yet. I know there are ways to avoid drilling with an overflow box but don't like that idea. Maybe your guidance can sway my thinking here. Additionally, not sure if I was going to add the Refugium right away. I am sure there are benefits to add it during the cycling. Any reprocutions adding it after the cycle?

When it comes to using rock, I am most likely going to dry to get at least 60 pounds in the tank. I was going to use liquid bacteria to add life to the sand and the rock. It seems that a lot of people have mixed feelings with adding a small piece of live rock. I like the idea of the diversity of an established rock but am not yet familiar with the pests that live rock might have.

I have seen so many amazing setups in this forum, very excited to learn and grow in this hobby.

Image of Tank/Stand I will be using (wish I had the tank that went with the stand):

IMG_2967.jpg

I just drilled my first tank and honestly, it's super easy. I highly recommend going sump. Im in the process of setting up my first sump and so far, super fun and simple. I highly recommend it instead of having a bunch of stuff hanging on the back of your tank taking up space. (That's what I did with mine and how it's set up rn and I hate seeing so much stuff on it)

Hi!!!!

Carib Sea Special Grade Reef Sand 40 Pounds ....Cheaper at PetSmart than Amazon. If you use PetCo points: Petco also carries the same sand and will price match the PetSmart price. PetCo will give you free shipping too. Search Results | PetSmart

Nice stand! Where did you find it?

Thanks for the PetSmart tip, never thought to think it would be cheaper there. Stand was a gift from a friend, sadly with no tank. There is a little bit of an issue with the stand. It seems that Innovative Marine makes them 47.3 inches long so the standard tank I have has a small lip on the sides (its lightly over 48 inches). It looks like it will be ok but was thinking of getting a piece of plywood to better support it.

I just drilled my first tank and honestly, it's super easy. I highly recommend going sump. Im in the process of setting up my first sump and so far, super fun and simple. I highly recommend it instead of having a bunch of stuff hanging on the back of your tank taking up space. (That's what I did with mine and how it's set up rn and I hate seeing so much stuff on it)

I am going to have to do this ha-ha, hope i don't break it. Now I need to figure out which sump/skimmer to get. Any suggestions? The stand I have can fit a large one. All the doors come off pretty easy.

Measure the interior dimensions of the stand and find the largest one you can fit. Keep in mind to leave enough space for you to comfortably do maintenance down there, including removing bulky equipment like a skimmer. The more water capacity the better. If you want, you can always get a standard tank for cheap and build in your own baffles. Planning out the sump/flow can be fun too.

Nice tank! Enjoy the setup!

Welcome and good luck on your journey! I'd definitely go sump though , my main tanks have always been drilled but recently I tried to do a frag system without a sump and realized how much of a pain it was and an eye sore. Sumps just make general maintenance a lot easier I believe. For the Skimmer brand Id recommend anything from reef octopus. I've used other brands in the past but ever since I tried reef octopus I've decided there's no going back, great performance at reasonable prices!

Welcome and good luck on your journey! I'd definitely go sump though , my main tanks have always been drilled but recently I tried to do a frag system without a sump and realized how much of a pain it was and an eye sore. Sumps just make general maintenance a lot easier I believe. For the Skimmer brand Id recommend anything from reef octopus. I've used other brands in the past but ever since I tried reef octopus I've decided there's no going back, great performance at reasonable prices!

Thanks Justin, I think I am going to switch gears and go for sump. I like Wilson's idea of making my own and will see if I can get another tank and buy some acrylic sheets to build it. Will check out the reef octopus.

You sound already decided for the sump but I will add another vote for doing a sump. It is more practical for being able to accommodate more nutrient export options, easy to make adjustments to those option(add media bags), reduce equipment in the actual display, and really fun to plan out the overflow and sump (buy too) haha.

As someone who cracked a perfectly nice 40B trying to drill for the first time, I would definitely recommend doing a practice hole or two with some spare glass of you can. Don't know where you are but I can just about guarantee that if you want some help drilling though that tank a bunch of us on here would be more than happy to help when it's time.

@CosmicMan , Welcome to the club, yes go with a sump a lot nicer and easier by a lot, do not buy everything from amazon, if you don't mind used stuff post in the wtb forum, and you will find some goodies and a lot of times for half of the price or even free, and if you have any questions just ask, if you need help just ask, in this club is a bunch of nice people way nicer that you think and hope
Gabe

@CosmicMan , Welcome to the club, yes go with a sump a lot nicer and easier by a lot, do not buy everything from amazon, if you don't mind used stuff post in the wtb forum, and you will find some goodies and a lot of times for half of the price or even free, and if you have any questions just ask, if you need help just ask, in this club is a bunch of nice people way nicer that you think and hope
Gabe

Thanks Gabe, definitely do not mind used items. I really appreciate it.

Get wha
I am going to have to do this ha-ha, hope i don't break it. Now I need to figure out which sump/skimmer to get. Any suggestions? The stand I have can fit a large one. All the doors come off pretty easy.
Get whatever size you want. As long as it works for you. I'm building my own sump out of a 20g long. Just need to cut the glass. My tank is a 40b btw. For a 50, I would go with either a 20 long or a 40 breeder. (I think the 20g would work just fine for your size. Just because them being shorter height wise would make it easier for you to get into whenever you need to do anything

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Welcome aboard!
Nice setup.
Im in the 'Go with a sump 100%' group. Eshopps makes a hang on back overflow that is pretty darn reliable (I used them for years never a worry)).
Then you can cut out that CPR hang on fuge and just build one into the sump.
For a 50g you dont need anything crazy, you can grab whatever size standard tank fits under your cabinet and just build your own.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
In this hobby you will find out that something’s are good to buy new and some stuff it’s definitely better to buy used.
sumps is one of those things that you never buy new. If you could find a good used sump you will save a lot of money.

if you really want to save money and keep it simple for your size tank a 20 gallon long tank is the perfect sump. Petco is doing the $1 per gallon sale right now so that tank will be $20