• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First Tank 29gal with display sump

Copying from my thread on R2R. Posted June 7th 2018.
This is my first tank build. It started because I was wandering petco and saw some cool inverts that I wanted, so I thought 'maybe I'll look into a small SW tank, maybe 10 gallons to go on the table in my room'. I started my research online, and stopped in LFS where they had a 10 gal reef fully set up and ready to take home... for $800. I laughed and said that was crazy, who would pay that much for such a little set up? I'm not laughing now that I'm many hundreds deep in this hobby before stocking. I then learned that even a 10 gallon could weigh over 100 pounds and that wouldn't work for the furniture I wanted to put it on but got some second hand online anyway and quickly noticed how small it was. I thought well that's going to fill up real fast and what do you mean I can only have about two fish in there? I then moved on to think maybe I'll do a 20 long with a 10 gal sump because I read that the more water you had the easier it was to keep your numbers in check, and I figured if it was long that was more surface area for coral. Went to a local $1/gallon sale and noticed the 29 was the same footprint as 20l so I came home with that and a 10 for the sump. Less than a week later I exchanged the 10 for a 20h as my sump and started my build.

I wanted an open bottom stand so that I could put macro algae in the sump, and all of the stands on the market that are closed are not exactly my style, so I got a metal frame stand at petco for $40. Cut a piece of scrap wood to fit across the bottom to hold the sump and stuck everything on there.
image.png
I've done different PVC work before so I decided I'd be able to make my own overflow for way cheaper than buying an overflow box.
image.png
image.png
I had gotten in touch with someone on here who was selling the rock and sand from their 29 gallon setup. I got 24 pounds of live rock, and probably 50+ pounds of sand. This was on top of the 6 dry and 2 live I had gotten from LFS, and a 20 pound bag of Caribsea sand. I filled up DT with water to keep it all live and kept it like this for a couple days while I made the sump and waited for it to dry.
image.png
I have experience cutting glass from another project I just finished, and this was a breeze. First chamber is about 8in wide, I looked at the different skimmers in my price range and they all seemed to max out at a 7in footprint but I also figured worst thing could happen would be to just stick it in the middle chamber if needed. Last chamber is about 5in for my return pump.

After my sump was dry and ready to get filled with water I stuck it in there and was able to start on my rock work. Visually it was too much rock for DT, so some of it got moved to the sump.
image.png
I'm still running 2 hob filters on it since I'm having some trouble with the plumbing. My siphon isn't quite keeping up with my pump so after a couple hours the return chamber gets too low and I need to unplug the pump to let the water level rise again. Sump also has a light coming in the mail shortly which is why it's so dark down there right now.

I'm getting a proper CUC in there soon that's in QT right now until I can figure out which native things are allowed to stay long term, there's some mud snails in there now retrieved from the bait bucket down the shore (New Jersey coast). There's also a couple small crabs also found hanging out in the bait bucket who are now down in the sump where they have been exiled until the next trip to the ocean since one is FULL of eggs. Other native CUC includes a hermit crab, and a couple grass/feeder shrimp, and a clam rescued from my dad's purchase at the seafood counter that's been hanging out in the bait bucket all year and has a new home nestled in the sand and seems very pleased to not be in somebody's dinner.

That's all for now, I'll update with the next steps. I'm going to be ordering an aqua lift pump for the siphon to find out if that's why the PVC is barely at a trickle most times, I'm going to get a skimmer as well and keep moving forward.

-----------------------------------------
Update posted June 17th 2018
So my plumbing issues have been pretty much figured out. I added two ball valves to the siphon and return, I need to restrict the return, and with the aqua lift on the siphon it keeps up quite well. It's a got an occasional gurgle so I might tweak a bit here and there as my aquascaping, and filtration gets finalized.
I've got a diatom bloom going on right now which I'm happy about since it means I'm just one step closer.
I've now got a Curve 5 running in the sump, I just got it two days ago and it's already starting to pull out what I'm assuming is diatoms since there's not much other waste in the system with only a CUC, still playing with the water levels in that and I'm prepared to make an egg crate stand once I find a good height. I'm also going to be making an egg crate filter basket to stick in the sump where the siphon lets out so that I could put media in there since I really don't want to invest money in a reactor when I don't know if there's going a big need for it.

When I went to petco yesterday and they didn't have any of the background that I wanted, just plain blue/black and at that it was $2 a foot and I'd need 5 feet just for the DT and Sump, not including something to put up for the fish in QT so I broke out the paint at around midnight last night and experimented a bit. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it just like that or tweak it a bit. I'm going to wait a bit and see how I like it since it's a pain to get behind that tank. I like how the rock work really pops now, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the exact design. The more research I'm doing about the fish species that I like the more I'm seeing things about some preferring a lot of rock work and I'm wondering if I have enough in there. I might consider getting some more but I don't want it to look too cluttered either.
image.png
My GSPs are doing really well, at least in my eyes. And the paly/zoa(?) I got with my live rock seems to be perking up a bit more
.image.png image.png
My dad brought home some empty shells, two hermit crabs, and some snails today along with some seaweed (ulva that's going to go in the fuge and DT) and right after I added some of the snails and seaweed I noticed a bunch of copepods on the walls of the tank. Broke out the handy Toys R Us microscope to confirm. Took a look at the sea water he brought it all home with and that's got some fun critters in there too so I'll be adding that to my tank, I'm going for as complete of a full eco system as possible so nothing's better than real sea water to get all that good stuff in there.

I also noticed some bubbles in my sand the other day and would love to encourage a DSP to help complete the nitrogen cycle so I picked up some more sand I'm going to make a DSB probably in the DT since the sump fuge area is shallow to begin with. Or maybe since the return pump needs to be several inches above the bottom of the tank due to the length of my PVC I'll put a DSB in there too and put the return pump on something since it's just hanging around right now.
That's all for now, this week I plan to finish up my CUC so I can restart my 76 days for a final time, with all this ocean stuff I just want to be extra careful before I go sticking any fish I'm paying money for in there.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Update-
Went to Reef A Palooza yesterday and got some corals! I'm really excited for my first real coral purchases. I got 5 zoas, and a hammer torch. They're all tiny little frags except for the torch. I'm not sure which colorations of the zoas they are, once they're opening up a bit more in the tank I'll try to figure out how to take pictures to get their proper names. Why is it so hard to get a good picture with the blue lights on anyway. I also got my first fish! I got a pair of clownfish from my LFS's booth, I know they've got good practices and breed their own clowns and I couldn't help but notice that one of the main vendors there that had fish for sale weren't looking too hot.
I got two zoa frags and my clownfish from Absolutely Fish. And I got 3 zoa frags and my torch from the Aquarium Village/Credabel Coral Lab booth. I also ran in to Absolutely on the way home to pick up the food that they'd been feeding the clowns and left with a mangrove and cleaner shrimp as well.

I drip acclimated everything but the mangrove, and did a bayer dip on the corals. Triple rinsed and put them at the bottom of my tank. I had read that I should be sticking them in the sand, but my grass shrimp are noisy little buggers and knock over whatever they decide to inspect, and I have some pretty reckless hermit crabs too. I had some leftover egg crate from what I'm building in my sump so I decided to make a frag shelf in my tank, but all of the ones they sell online are so expensive for what they are. So I bought some magnets on amazon, and superglued them to the egg crate.

I definitely did NOT glue my fingers together. That isn't at all anything that happened while assembling this. Nope. Fingers all remained separate for the entire assembly.

I'm quite pleased with my little frag rack, the magnets are pretty weak, I wouldn't recommend anyone using these particular magnets, but they get the job done, you just need to hold the rack steady while you drop the plugs in or it tips over. I made it for the corner of the tank so I could stick more magnets on it for stability on multiple sides, and it holds my 6 new frags with room to spare although I'm not sure how many more it could handle with the weight. I could always add more magnets if I need.

The paly/zoa (I'm thinking it's a zoa, I'm not noticing any lines in the middle) is looking less stretched out, and it's open with a lot less effort now, but it's getting this red algae on it? My tank still has all sorts of different algae things going on, but this poor little coral has gone through enough. Hopefully it won't hurt any of the healthy tissue.

I still have wires and tubes and stuff allover my tank because my siphon is still being very very loud. It's sucking in too much air, my lift pump is just constant bubbles pretty much. I think my weir is too narrow and it's not able to keep up with how much water it's suctioning. I've got ball valves on so hopefully I'll be able to work something out.

I've done some more research on refugiums and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to do macro algae or an algae scrubber. It seems like an algae scrubber is more effective. I think it would be really awesome to create as much of a closed cycle eco system as possible, I have a little closed system eco system with like one shrimp in it probably a large brine shrimp. I got it for christmas at least 4 years ago and the little guy is still swimming around in there. I hope the mangroves will help with that too. I'll be doing a bit more research on that in the upcoming days.

IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0138.JPG

Hey bud, it looks like you bought a hammer coral, but a torch coral. They're both Euphyllia... they just look different and one is more aggressive than the other (in most cases).

If ya can get us some better pictures of the zoas (top down shots) we may be able to help with the ID!

Reactions: Kai
Hey bud, it looks like you bought a hammer coral, but a torch coral. They're both Euphyllia... they just look different and one is more aggressive than the other (in most cases).

If ya can get us some better pictures of the zoas (top down shots) we may be able to help with the ID!

Ah, for some reason I thought the names were interchangeable, thanks! Hmm I let my mom pick a coral after making sure it was going to be a beginner enough level... her money she could buy whatever she wanted for that tank as long as I didn't think I'd kill it, that's why I mostly picked zoas but she loves the hammer corals. I'm guessing with your comments about aggression that I should probably not have it on the same rack as my zoas? We asked the people at the vendor we got it from and they didn't mention anything but I'd rather be safe than sorry!
I'll work on getting a decent picture, my blues aren't high yet in my light since I'm still acclimating everything so I'll have to wait until the whites turn off later so I don't need to go messing with the settings again (next time I've already decided that I'm getting a better light that's more technologically user friendly and powerful, the scary part is that I'm already telling myself 'next time'). I think one is an eagle eye though!

I also noticed that not only did the existing paly/zoa start growing a red algae, but my existing GSP has started to get some algae growing on it too, only it's the same hair type that's covering my rocks. I guess I should be cutting the hours my light is on? It's gotten so long that my snails won't eat it anymore.

The hammer SHOULD be okay.. You could move it just to be safe though.

Lights and nutrients will effect algae growth and should be adjusted accordingly!

Reactions: Kai