• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First Tank Setup Northern NJ stores+resources

Hi everyone
I started collecting materials for my first ever tank, I'm planning a mixed reef. I'm forced to keep it relatively small compared to what I want due to space issues. So far I have...

• 29 gal DT (30 x 12 x 18)
    • with VIPARSPECTRA 165W LED
    • 200 watt heater
  • 1- 10 gal (20 x 10 x 12) that I plan to use as a fuge with the DT
  • 1- 10 gal (20 x 10 x 12) plan to use for fish or coral QT
    • Aqueon 20
    • 19 watt 20in reflector with full spectrum bulb
    • 50 watt heater
  • 1- 10 gal (20 x 10 x 12) plan to use as fish or coral QT
    • Tetra PF10
    • 50 watt heater
    • What looks like a marineland hood LED? it has 2 blue looking lights, 22 white looking lights. I got it used locally and the light or hood have no identifying marks so that's what it looks most like
I got 7lbs of base rock from LFS (Absolutely Fish) and 2 pounds of live rock that I have cycling in one of the 10gal with a 20lb bag of caribsea sand because I don't have the space cleared or a stand for the DT yet but I couldn't wait to start cycling at least some of my water while I collect the rest of my materials. I also have some NJ native inverts in there for now that may or may not stay for the long run.

But I still need some things and some advice as I move on to my next step.
I plan to get a Hydor Slim Skim internal skimmer 48-65 gal, and a Quiet One Pro 800 pump for the return from the fuge to the DT with some DIY plumbing.
I plan to get more sand, I'll probably head to the shore this weekend for that. I need more rock but now that I have a little bit getting started I have the chance to price out rock at different places.

Where do you all get your materials for the best prices, particularly in Northern NJ? I'm in need of a lot of rock, live, dry, or base, does anybody know the prices at other fish stores? Will either of my 10 gallon lights be okay for QT on coral? I could get another bulb for the hood if that's possible but I'd like to keep cost down.
Does anyone in the northern part of the state, particularly around Passaic/Morris/Bergen/Essex need to get rid of any cheato or used filter media, I feel like paying for the cheato when some people grow an abundance of it is something that could be avoided if I'm patient.
How do you all feel about Absolutely Fish? Fish Hut? Any place down the shore that I absolutely need to check out when I head that way?
Thanks!

Hi Kai, welcome to NJReefer!

I’m from Northern NJ too and I’ve just upgraded my nano (BC29) to a 150 gallon tank. I have a lot of pest-free, mature live rocks and live sand on my BC29 and a bunch of items that you might need. I’m planning to post them for sale really soon.
Where are you from Northern NJ? I’ll be happy to help and answer your questions, hit me up on PM.

- Ray

Okay I'm from the Wayne area, but frequently end up in Parsippany and Montclair areas as well. I see your profile says Parsippany so that works well. Any idea on how soon for those things since I'm starting to put together my final orders.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
For up that way towards Montclair, the closest LFS that I know of is Sealevel Aquarium up in Pinebrook. They have a lil bit of everything

Welcome to the club might want to do 2 150 watt heaters instead of just one 200 just in case the 200 breaks. Nice to have a backup heater

Thanks everyone! I actually pass by Sealevel Aquarium aquarium weekly but had no idea it was even there, I'll be sure to check it out. Ocean Image Aquatics is a bit further so I'll get there eventually. I'll look into seeing if I could switch out my 200 watt for 2 150s as well since I don't think I've opened that yet.

ACC have better price than any store in northern jersey. Little far from Parsippany but worth driving there if you buying live stock.
Absolutely fish is expensive but good quality.

This may be late but I like Absolutely Fish
ACC have better price than any store in northern jersey. Little far from Parsippany but worth driving there if you buying live stock.
Absolutely fish is expensive but good quality.
ACC if it's the ACC that comes up on google being in Ocean County is a bit far for a casual trip to the store.
I like Absolutely Fish. That is the only fish store I like to go to. I looked at some others but I'm absolutely sticking with Absolutely ;) If I ever end up traveling south I'll certainly check out some other places but I'm in grad school and don't have much free time between that and work. I'm always excited to check out something new, I just rarely see places that hold up to Absolutely's livestock quality, care, and service.

My only issue with Absolutely is their prices. They seem to be considerably higher than anyone else. They do have a good selection in fish, though.

Check out Iconic Aquarium. Great guy runs the place with a ton stuff you don’t always see. Super knowledgeable and takes requests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Kai, I’m in Hackettstown about 40 mins from Wayne. I’ve been reefing for about 10 yrs now so let me know how I can help.

Reactions: Kai
Welcome! I live in wanaque so real close. I like sea level aquariums and I agree absolutely fish is expensive but usually have very healthy livestock.
I go to sea level for my salt, I'm due for more pretty soon now, but I only go to absolutely for my livestock. Maybe one day I'll think about getting a coral from sea level, but my wallet has held me back so far.

Hi everyone
I started collecting materials for my first ever tank, I'm planning a mixed reef. I'm forced to keep it relatively small compared to what I want due to space issues. So far I have...

• 29 gal DT (30 x 12 x 18)
    • with VIPARSPECTRA 165W LED
    • 200 watt heater
  • 1- 10 gal (20 x 10 x 12) that I plan to use as a fuge with the DT
  • 1- 10 gal (20 x 10 x 12) plan to use for fish or coral QT
    • Aqueon 20
    • 19 watt 20in reflector with full spectrum bulb
    • 50 watt heater
  • 1- 10 gal (20 x 10 x 12) plan to use as fish or coral QT
    • Tetra PF10
    • 50 watt heater
    • What looks like a marineland hood LED? it has 2 blue looking lights, 22 white looking lights. I got it used locally and the light or hood have no identifying marks so that's what it looks most like
I got 7lbs of base rock from LFS (Absolutely Fish) and 2 pounds of live rock that I have cycling in one of the 10gal with a 20lb bag of caribsea sand because I don't have the space cleared or a stand for the DT yet but I couldn't wait to start cycling at least some of my water while I collect the rest of my materials. I also have some NJ native inverts in there for now that may or may not stay for the long run.

But I still need some things and some advice as I move on to my next step.
I plan to get a Hydor Slim Skim internal skimmer 48-65 gal, and a Quiet One Pro 800 pump for the return from the fuge to the DT with some DIY plumbing.
I plan to get more sand, I'll probably head to the shore this weekend for that. I need more rock but now that I have a little bit getting started I have the chance to price out rock at different places.

Where do you all get your materials for the best prices, particularly in Northern NJ? I'm in need of a lot of rock, live, dry, or base, does anybody know the prices at other fish stores? Will either of my 10 gallon lights be okay for QT on coral? I could get another bulb for the hood if that's possible but I'd like to keep cost down.
Does anyone in the northern part of the state, particularly around Passaic/Morris/Bergen/Essex need to get rid of any cheato or used filter media, I feel like paying for the cheato when some people grow an abundance of it is something that could be avoided if I'm patient.
How do you all feel about Absolutely Fish? Fish Hut? Any place down the shore that I absolutely need to check out when I head that way?
Thanks!
Ocean gallery on 22 sells live rock, just north sure on the prices, they’re closer to me and my job so if you don’t mind the drive they’re worth checking out. They’re super nice and friendly, will answer any questions you have over the phone and in person. For corals and fish and just a boutique kinda feel for a fish store check out reefco aquarium. The two places are 7 min from each other if you want to make it worth the drive!

Salted

NJRC Member
Thanks everyone! I actually pass by Sealevel Aquarium aquarium weekly but had no idea it was even there, I'll be sure to check it out. Ocean Image Aquatics is a bit further so I'll get there eventually. I'll look into seeing if I could switch out my 200 watt for 2 150s as well since I don't think I've opened that yet.
Get two 100s or 150s and add an inkbird controller.