• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

first time plumbing look okay?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
looking for some advice on my plumbing setup i just finished last night was my first time doing something like this let me know if i have to adjust or change anything before the water goes in.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 28
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 27
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 28
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 27

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Suggestion: On the return pump use silicone rubber tubing and then connect that to the pvc. It will reduce vibration sound. On my pipes to the filter socks, they are 1-2" from the top of the sump water. This helps with not having a splashing sound. Curious why you have valves on the three pipes entering the sump? If you left it closed and turned on your return pump, you would flood your tank. The only one I have a valve on is the main drain with a gate valve because it is more precise to dial in the water flow to the sump

Let us see what others opinions are. I only plumbed one tank

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Suggestion: On the return pump use silicone rubber tubing and then connect that to the pvc. It will reduce vibration sound
thats what i figured just attach it to the valve then right into the pvc correct?
also the out pipes going into the socks should be submerged i take it? so i gotta lower those brackets? and extend the pipe ya?

Pipes going into the socks should go a few inches below the waterline if you do not want splashing noise yes. Also has to be easy to remove the socks to replace them at same time!
Should also add a 90 elbow at that emergency line shooting downward.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Pipes going into the socks should go a few inches below the waterline if you do not want splashing noise yes. Also has to be easy to remove the socks to replace them at same time!
Should also add a 90 elbow at that emergency line shooting downward.
yup i was going to add that and maybe a hose connection? good way to do water changes lol,
the sock installment im going to just add an extension without glue can take off during sock changes
the only thing thats got me is the return pump with the pvc connect going to a tube didnt really want to do that but guess i have to
also was hold to strap the back pipes down to a 2x4 for better support so the pressure doesnt break them

I would cut the PVC for the return and do soft tubing. Doesn't have to be much i would do just a little bit below the 90° and do it from there. You'll get vibration noise otherwise.

dont think ima do a reactor if i ever need one i can always add it later on
Famous last words. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Sorry that’s just my way of thinking ultimately it’s up to you. If you have room it wouldn’t hurt to do now since your tank is not up and running this way if and when you decide to do a reactor everything is in place for you

u don’t have to do tubing there better is ultra flex pvc and add check valve there on vertical from your return that will prevent lots of water draining back to sump when u turn of pump. Get true union check valve easier to remove it if u need to clean it

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I would cut the PVC for the return and do soft tubing. Doesn't have to be much i would do just a little bit below the 90° and do it from there. You'll get vibration noise otherwise.
yup thats what i did last night added about 6 inches of rubber hose to take that noise away

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Famous last words. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Sorry that’s just my way of thinking ultimately it’s up to you. If you have room it wouldn’t hurt to do now since your tank is not up and running this way if and when you decide to do a reactor everything is in place for you
true aswell ill prob add that on tonight better now then later like you said