• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish/Coral Food

I’ve been doing a lot of research on fish food and it seems even the good brand frozen mysis and brine shrimp cubes aren’t that nutritious. Saw BSR and other videos on making homemade fish food. Also saw that Rods Food can be a good alternative. What do you guys and gals do in terms of ensuring your tank inhabitants are properly feed?

Variety and vitamen supplements for frozen food like shrimp/squid/silversides. I use garlic too, but not really sure if its a gimmick or if its beneficial.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Only thing I ever read about garlic was that.
Comets are extremely finicky I have heard.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Go to Amazon and buy a small micro ice cube tray for a couple bucks.

And get a small $20 food processor from Amazon as well.

And grab a nice coral food powder from somewhere - Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy, whichever.
And maybe some Selcon if you want to go nuts.

Then go to food shop of choice.
Buy 2-3 shrimp, a piece of whitefish, a clam or two, and a few other pieces of anything.
Then go down the ethnic aisle and pick up nori/seaweed.

Throw all the fish in a food processor with a tablespoon or two of RODI, a ripped up sheet of nori, a teaspoon or two of coral food, and a few mils of Selcon.
Blend till pulpy.
Pour it into the micro ice cube molds.
Freeze.
Pop a couple out each night and drop in tank.

Healthy, nutritious, no preservatives, and $6 will feed your tank for 2 months.

For me is was clams, mussels, and oysters all fresh shucked with and liquid straight into the food processor. Chopped up some nori mixed in and then Rotifers and fish eggs. All mixed up and frozen.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I feed pellets 3 x a day from my AFS In the Lowest setting.
I feed nori sheet 1 once a day
I feed frozen LRS / rods food / San Francisco
Bay frozen the multi- pack / P E mysis
I feed reef roids broad cast feed corals 1 or 2 a week.
I feed the anemones little pieces of clams.
I use ocean nutrition flakes food I also use their pellets.
I use different pellets I use hikari / new life spectrum / TDO chroma boost/

I would go to the coral shows and get a bunch of free food from the different vendors. No frag shows now. so I might have to buy food soon

I auto feed pellets twice a day and put in frozen daily, switching between mysis, clam, and emerald feast. Nori every other day, and plankton 2-3 times per week.
But now I’m going to try what @Mark_C wrote above-been meaning to and his post just inspired me. Found the processor online at kohl’s and with kohls cash that was about to expire scored it for free. Will definitely include clam, reef chili, and plankton in the mix, and will probably vary up what else I put in from the seafood counter.

Time for another plug-right now, feeding Is currently leading as the likely topic for the virtual meeting on Monday. Just sayin....

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Can I change my vote? lol. Feeding would be a great topic.

Update: I did vote for feeding. I guess I was thinking ahead ;)

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have been been making my own food for years. Use whatever you can find as long as it is fresh. Clams, mussels, shrimp, fish fillet, nori, pellets, and anything else I have around. Your biggest thing to learn is when to add what to get the size food you would like. For what you pay for a package of frozen food I can make a months supply or more.
Then again I’m on the water almost every day so live food is everywhere.
Good luck and have fun with it

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
@Rossim2i2 To me, Rods Food is very "dirty". There seems to be more shrimp shells than actual shrimp in the mix. My tank always looked polluted after each feeding.

Personally I use Elos Fresco line foods. My fish go nuts over the mysis and blood worms. They seem to enjoy the cyclops as well.

Also their customer service is top notch. I've had several issues with the postal service during this crisis and Elso stepped up to make it right every time.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried to make fresh food, but I think I never found the right balance for my fish.