• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish from NY Aquatic

Hi All

I’ve been ordering from NY Aquatic for the past couple months and I quarantine my fish but I’m still having a hard time keeping these fish alive. First order I got almost a year ago all came alive and are still living today. Last few orders I have done I just have 3 leopard wrasses that have survived. All the tangs wrasses copper bands and anthias I order from them ended up dying within the first week or so. I’m ordering pretty hardy fish and none of them will eat any foods I give. I give all kinds of frozen flakes and pellets and even pods and they don’t live. Really frustrating as I keep throwing money down the drain. Anyway just wanted anted to hear about anyone else experiences with them seems like for me they are not offering healthy fish. Side note I did purchase a few from absolute fish and they are seem to eat and are doing good but that place is just really pricey.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My last four orders in the past two months:

Leopard wrasse: doa when I opened the box. No credit

McCoskor wrasse: died two days after arrival

Radiant wrasse: died on day one

Radiant wrasse: arrived alive and dived into the sand and never came out

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
its always 50/50 for me when it comes to NYAquatic as well. since they upped their presence on social media, you can kinda get a glimpse of what their operation is like. it really looks like they just unpack their import shipments and then repack them to ship out as soon as an order is placed, I assume due to the holidays its a bit busier so this maybe the case.

the worse part is that customer service, if there is an issue it's horrible. you either get a response/credit as soon as you report it or will ask a thousand questions and eventually never receive a reply back. prices are good but on when you have an issues most of the time you'll be paying doule the amount.

I was just starting to considering a pickup of a gem tang too..
I think picking up is a lot better than having it shipped. Just never know because the fish eat when you see them in the livestream videos and when we get them they dont

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Have been hit or miss with them, I will say our last order of 6 fish, all are doing amazing. Always tough with shipping fish.

Its 50/50, recently I picked up 42 chromis and only 12 survived rest of them died with in 3-4 days
My purple tang died in qt
Many goby’s in different orders did not survived so i have mix experience, many of his fish survived qt too
But
Still buying from him (price-price-price)

All depend on kind of fish you are buying
If fish is settled then it will survive but if it’s freshly imported then fish has a less chances of survival, i always pick up fish so no shipping/packing experience

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Every fish in my tank from damsels to a moorish Idol came from them. Never an issue with anything I got from them,only fish I lost was a purple tile that managed to jump through a hole by my heater. Oldest fish is just under 1 year

radiata

NJRC Member
Its 50/50, recently I picked up 42 chromis and only 12 survived rest of them died with in 3-4 days
My purple tang died in qt
Many goby’s in different orders did not survived so i have mix experience, many of his fish survived qt too
But
Still buying from him (price-price-price)

All depend on kind of fish you are buying
If fish is settled then it will survive but if it’s freshly imported then fish has a less chances of survival, i always pick up fish so no shipping/packing experience

Indeed, it sure would be nice if Michael kept new arrivals in his systems for two weeks before he offered them for sale. But that would put him two weeks behind the curve on his income...

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I believe most fish are held 3-5 days,won't ship until eating.
They will send you a video of the fish eating before it ships,ive never qt'd anything from him and knock on wood no issues. I only use safety stop rapid qt,I have a powder brown from him zero issues and their ich magnets times 1 million.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My last four orders in the past two months:

Leopard wrasse: doa when I opened the box. No credit

McCoskor wrasse: died two days after arrival

Radiant wrasse: died on day one

Radiant wrasse: arrived alive and dived into the sand and never came out
Isn't there a 14 day guarantee? I take lots of pictures right away and send it to Mike. I message him on fb whenever there are issues

Isn't there a 14 day guarantee? I take lots of pictures right away and send it to Mike. I message him on fb whenever there are issues
i bought it without guarantee so no claim filed but its still worth it (not this time)

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Not with the Leopards....only alive guarantee. at delivery. You have one hours from the time stamp on delivery to get a DOA claim to them. If your email time stamp is over 60 mins you are out of luck

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Not with the Leopards....only alive guarantee. at delivery. You have one hours from the time stamp on delivery to get a DOA claim to them. If your email time stamp is over 60 mins you are out of luck
There's been a few times when Mike still takes care of it. As long as you stay in constant communication with him, he will try to help out. He's helped me twice.