• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish going MIA?

I am still new to the hobby. I have had a few occasions were fish disappeared with no trace. Last week I added a tailspot blenny. He was adjusting well and eating. He was not picked on form what I could see. I was in the tank trying to fix something about 4 days ago. I knocked down this large rock that is the top of a cave in the middle of the tank. While I was trying to move the rocks back the way there were I did see the blenny, but once I got is set. I did not see it and I have not seen it since that day. Now I am wondering if I trapped it or killed it, I don't know... I was not really going that crazy trying to fix the rocks. I know fish can disappear and hide for a long time, then reappear. It has been my experience with the short time I have been doing this that once they are out of site, they are gone. What do you guys think? I am tempted to move the rocks around, but I am afraid to open up that can of worms again to get them back the way they were.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We trapped a pond fish for about a week before we realized it. He was fine afterwards. With our saltwater tank, similar to your experience, if we don't see a fish for a bit ... it never "resurfaces". I'd be inclined to move the rock if I thought I trapped a fish. That would be a cruddy way to go! Good luck!

Yeah you are right. I just can't see how it would be trapped. It is two big rocks on the botom and one going across the top. You can almost see all around it. I am also afraid of freaking out the other fish with me disturbing the tank like that again.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would leave it be...chances of doing more damage than good is high. I would only move rockwork if I knew for a fact something was trapped.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rod

Yeah. I looked around the tank again. That top rock really isn't sitting on much of the other two rocks and I was very slow moving things. I can't see where it would be stuck.

Dont know if you have one, but Check your overflow, sump, filter sock, top of tank, and all over the floor. I was missing a goby for months, actually forgot i even had him . Wound up finding him when i cleaned my sump last week! Cleaned it before but this time i took about 40 lbs of rock to clean it good and there he was swimmin around

It is a 28 Nanocube. I took a flash like and looked in the back chambers. Maybe I will take out the filter rack and look more closely...

LOL i can almost garantee it is in the over flow box in the back left take out the pump and w/e else you have in it and he should be there

Ive had both my clowns, a firefish and my pygmy angel jump into my overflow on the NC. Give it a good look, try using indirect lighting. My clown would always go to the bottom near the pump when I shined a light in there, took a little to find him.

I checked the back compartments, no luck.

The mushrooms are really good. They opened up huge the next day. I didn't think they were that big. They look really good. Thank you again.