• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish kill

Went to bed Tuesday night Reef was ok. Woke up Wed. morning to a "Fish Kill". 13 Fish had Died. All Coral and tank pumps were all O.K. I lost 2 Scotts 1 Rosey Scale Fairy,1 Copperband, 2 Filaments wrasse, Large Cardinal Bangiee 3 years old,2 blue sided wrasse,1 double spoted blennie, 3 Veiltail Anthais. All else is fine in the tank. Bubble tips are all open. One pearl wrasse, one bi-colore blennie and a pair of clown are the only fish to make it. After I did a water change today the Clowns laid more eggs. Maybe they will grow, since there are no other fish in the tank. I check the tank perimeter and all is well.the mysterie still continues. The tank has been running for 3 years with no proplems ??? what a way to end 2008..I so happy 2008 is finaly over. :-\

Did you test the water before the water change to see what your levels were? Maybe one of the fish died and gave off some kind of super germ.....?

Had to work that morning. So I did a water change as fast as possible. There was no outward sign of problems all the coral, shrimps, everything look like it should,except for dead fish, and now all looks good, no electrical shortages either. I spoke with Ethan and Will at AQ and they said Bryan also had the same mystery is this that same Bryan?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Must be something in the atmosphere? My brother lost about 5 fish Christmas night and three more are looking bad. He also had these fish for 2 or 3 years. Nothing changed as far as tank params. I was joking with him and blamed it on his cooking of a turkey for Christmas, Tank is about 25 feet from the stove, Is this possible?LOL He has been trying to think back and the only thing he can think of is possibly having something on his hand when he fed the fish.

Taz

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about the losses. I agree that there must be something in the air. In the last two days, I lost two anthias that we've had for a few years. They looked healthy as could be and disappeared one right after the other. Plus, the eel in my other tank has decided not to eat anymore. I can't get it to bite at anything. I'll be really bummed, to say the least, if we lose him.

I wonder.... This is pure speculation on my part...

People do tend to use a lot of scented candles and other such stuff. They do put things into the air, and a reef, especially an open top one would be a wonderful place to collect anything in the air.

People also tend to have a lot of guests, could one of them put something in the tank?

Along with that, people also tend to clean house. Were any sprays used? Was anything used near the reef?

Sounds like oxygen depletion to me. Did you lose power at all during the night? With 17 fish in a 120 it wouldn't take long for them to use up the oxygen in the stagnant water.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The candle theory is something I didn't think about...Being that I saw all of my father's fish die once form paint fumes, I could not help but to think that cooking a turkey(especially for so long) fills the house with an aroma(or fumes LOL) and as I was joking, I was a little serious being that I think this was not a common occurrence in his house.

His wife probably did do a lot of cleaning, however due to the height of the top of the tank and that the full enclosed canopy with 2 doors ties into the ceiling it would be pretty unlikely to spray anything into or to have guests access the water....But candles?HMMmm, I think she does burn, I'll have to mention this to him.

Taz

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first thought is temperature. Could you have a heater that’s on the way out and maybe caused a spike in temp? The reason I say this is that I lost a whole tank to a malfunctioning heater…about 100 fish (albeit freshwater).

In regard to something in the air….some “odors” readily dissolve in water. Ammonia comes to mind…water acts as a sink, and sucks ammonia out of the air. Something else that might have been used in the house that was in the air and solubilized in the tank.

This is a puzzle. ???

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would be the Brian that Wil and Ethan were telling you about. I had the same experience. Came home from work and 10 fish were dead. This was in my 225g and I have about 300 gallons total. Tested before a water change all parameters were fine, I was able to track my temp on my Aqua Controller so I knew I didn't have any power failures, or temp spikes. I tested my Oxygen it was ok, but it was hours after the loss. I was clueless as to what happened...and I pray that whatever did it, doesn't happen again.

Sorry about the loss...I know how heartbreaking that is.

Thank you for all your replies, they all seem possible,but the mystrey will continue. In the meantime I will watch my clownfish and maybe I will see some babies for the new year and work on my new fish wish list for the future. I wanna wish everyone a Happy New Year, and wish that 2009 is better then 2008...