• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish trap...

If anyone has a fish trap that I can borrow pls let me. I bought a swallowtail 2 weeks ago and he kinda have a thing for zoas. I dont want to breakdown the tank as my corals suffered already form the plumbing and re-aquascaping and I have so much goin on right now and really doesn't have time to tear my system down. I hate to see my zoas goin downhill as I have 10 colonies that have a f!#$ up skirts. Pls let me know if you have one .. thank you

steve

Wish I had one to offer ya. Considering the way you are probably feeling about that fish right now, maybe you might want one of these

Fish Trap

Good Luck.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about your fish. Sadly, I figured it was just a matter of time. I think Mike had recently gone through this with one of his kin.

Recently when I needed to pull a fish, I put a net in the tank and let it sit there until the fish were comfortable with it (hours, days, whatever). Then I fed the tank and when the fish was eating I pivoted the net straight up and took him and 3 of his tankmates in one shot. Turn off the flow so that the food stays where you put it.

Thanks Phyl someone said that to me lastnight and I was thinking to do it but also have another option as I want him out and the more time ticking is the more time my zoas will suffer :(... Ill do it tonight and introduce the net..

any other recommendations?

thanks

steve

I got my clown out using two people with nets and scared him into the overflow and then got him from there. It actually only took about 15 minutes but it all depends on how open your rock work is.

One option will be to buy the mesh used for bridal veils. Very very cheap in Walmart. Buy enough to cover the whole bottom of the tank and/or your zoas, plus some extra on the sides so that fish can swim into the water above it, but when you pull it up (by lets say strings on the corner) there is enough of it so that fish will not escape it.

Just some information here.. But, for those of you who have not seen his tank there is probable very little chance of even a net working.. as it would get stuck on every monti in the tank as he tried to even get near the fish. In addition to that the entire bottom almost every square inch including areas on the windows are covered in frags.

I personally think the only way to get this fish out is to try the trap somewhere in the middle of the tank connected to a magnet or something to suspend it. OR..

mynd said:
as it would get stuck on every monti in the tank as he tried to even get near the fish. In addition to that the entire bottom almost every square inch including areas on the windows are covered in frags.

That is precisely why I have suggested the net on the bottom/sides, covering all the frags and zoas. By covering what the fish goes for, you can force your hand rather then hopefully wait for the trap. Does the fish have a preferred food that you can use for efficient baiting? Or if it has a preferred hideout in the rock with the preferred entrance, you might "cover" it with this mesh in the form of a large sack.

This is my lucky day :).. Lastnight was tryin for about 1 or 2 catching the fish but no luck for me and got frustrated. I woke up early today open my actinics and saw the swallowtail on the right side of the tank swimmin dizzy.. I turn off the actinics right away and open my ceiling lights but only in dim so I can still see him .. put the big a55 net and bam got him ... I am just happy that I caught him easy and not break my tank...

Lesson learn - No angelfish is reefsafe! ( only applies to me! )

I am taking him back to the LFS and just get a store credit. As much as I and my daughter loves the fish he will not reside in my tank as it is not worth to loose some nice corals..

FYI he was nippin on my zoas and Aussie acans and my watermelon chalice :(..

Thanks for all the help and info ..

Steve

Woohooo! Nice.. Glad you did not have to resort to a fishing pole. I bet you feel better already knowing your corals are safe. Good Job!

pnoyreefer said:
This is my lucky day :).. Lastnight was tryin for about 1 or 2 catching the fish but no luck for me and got frustrated. I woke up early today open my actinics and saw the swallowtail on the right side of the tank swimmin dizzy.. I turn off the actinics right away and open my ceiling lights but only in dim so I can still see him .. put the big a55 net and bam got him ... I am just happy that I caught him easy and not break my tank...

Lesson learn - No angelfish is reefsafe! ( only applies to me! )

I am taking him back to the LFS and just get a store credit. As much as I and my daughter loves the fish he will not reside in my tank as it is not worth to loose some nice corals..

FYI he was nippin on my zoas and Aussie acans and my watermelon chalice :(..

Thanks for all the help and info ..

Steve

Nice "catch"...... and yes.... the pun was intended.