• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flatworms!!!! Please help!!!

That sucks. I know people have reported success with flatworm exit. They will hopefully chime in soon. I never had them so can't advise.
Do you know where they came from.

IM or email Mad_Drama. He just nuked his tank as someone gave him flatworms at the last meeting. He has a 450gal SPS tank. I believe he used greenex, but ask him to be sure.

Tracey

No Idea where they came from. I have added an open brain in the last month, and an avleopora about 6 weeks ago. Got both of them from the same LFS. I must have gotten it from them. :eek:

I had them three months ago. It was not easy to remove. I used Flatworm exit. You can get soem at reef encounter in hackensack.
They are expensive but they have it. If you need tips eel free to PM me.
I have been thru this twice but this time I really did nuke them.It's been three months and ot one in sight.

I also got flatworms at Larry's meeting last year. It took THREE app's of flatworm exit to rid my tank of the bastards. The third nuking was at four times the recomended strenght and I let the tank soak for three days before introducing carbon. During that time my seastars were in shock but all recovered after carbon.
Boris.

i just discovered that i have them too... :'( i only have a 55... i have no clue what to do first im going to try that greenex i guess anyother suggestions..... by the way what do flat worms hurt or do they hurt anything????

mike

slik,
before you use greenex, IS your tank acrylic, because greenex will stain your silicone green if it is glass.

Tracey

Ack! Four times the strength!?!?! :eek: Man i dont know if i want to put my fish through that. Im gonna try Flatworm Exit, if not this Sat, then Next. I never really paid much attention to the little buggers before, but now they are all over my tank. :mad:

i used the greenex when i had flat worms. i have a glass tank and havn't noticed any green silicone, of course who can tell with all that coraline all over ;D
pm me if u want details of prcedure. i got the procedure from Malcolm so its the same method he uses.

bob

the greenex can tent you silicone a greenish color, but it will return clear in a week or so. I did a few experiments before i nucked the tank a few weeks ago. turn off you skimmer and remove any media that absorbs stuff of the water (carbon, any phospate nitrate removers)i did one drop per gallon of greenex. waited twenty four hours before adding carbon and skimmer. waith 48 hours and repeat my first step. this seem to do the job.

i think i have them too,for quite some time now too, but brownish in color with a single red dot at the end of them. They been pretty much staying in the same spot and doesnt seem like there bothering anything, all sps, lps, clams and softies doing very very well. mmmm.... wondering if we have the same thing. Good luck. Ill be following this one.

Johnny

I finally ordered the FlatWorm Exit today. It should be delivered by Friday, so I should have an update of my tank nuking by then. It took me forever to find somebody that had the Flatworm Exit AND the 4lb container of ESV GAC. I didnt want to have to pay for shipping twice from 2 different companies.

Just in case anyone is wondering or interested, i got them from http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com

They have resonable prices and are very helpfull. I have done business with them before, i got my MH bulbs, and some Joes Juice from them and have been very pleased with the service.

Mike they probably hitchhiked in on the chaeto I gave you. :D They reproduce like crazy. My refugium was loaded with them along with the mini stars.

Looks like I have a few in my refugium as well. Damn.. I think they hitch hiked on some macro I recently picked up..

ANyone who recently rid them please let me know.. (Glass Tank)

Thanks

-Stan