• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flow Rate Through a Sump

So I switched out my return pump yesterday on my 70 Gallon FOWLR tank. Here’s my setup and questions. Maybe someone can help

70 Gallon Tank w/ 20 Gallon Sump
Pump: Simplicity DC 1000
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150

I tried to use a head loss calculator for head loss. I’m getting conflicting information from the one on Reef Cerntal (the pump isn’t listed there). I’ve got 5 feet of 1” tubing going back into the tank with two 90 degree elbows. My calculations tell me I should be somewhere in between 500 and 700 GPH after head loss. Can anyone pin down a more accurate number for me?

Once we get that number nailed down what kind of flow rate should I run through the tank with the skimmer I have? I’m thinking around 350 GPH possibly? The DC 1000 is adjustable so I need to know an accurate flow rate so I can adjust it down so the skimmer works the best it can

Thanks!

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I like dwell time in the sump. I have a 150g display, and a 45g sump. I have about 150 gallons after taking the rock into account I’m pushing 500gph and it seems right and is working good. I’m also using MP40s, nice pumps eh?

I’m not sure how to figure out your gph, I only know mine because of flow sensors.

Dave

That pump is 1000 gph rated for 10ft of head pressure. So if you have 5ft of pipe going up that cuts you to 500 gph each 90 I think adds 1ft of head pressure so your at 7ft of head pressure so your probably looking around 300 gph.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Sump flow really depends on what you have going on in the sump. Is there anything else beside a skimmer in there, any baffles, any other reactors or chaeto or whanot?

What would be a good pump for a 10 gal display and a about 4 gal sump with a 3.5 ft head, 1 ball valve and 2 pvc elbows. I have a 290 gpm $20.00 pond fountain pump that has been running nonstop for 2.5 year. I’m thinking about an upgrade. It was running a little noisy a couple days ago. I turned it off and back on and it’s been quiet ever since, but it got me thinking about replacing it.

Sump flow really depends on what you have going on in the sump. Is there anything else beside a skimmer in there, any baffles, any other reactors or chaeto or whanot?

I’ve got a large media box directly under the overflow with 2 cups of carbon and about 4” of filter floss on top of it. The water exits the tank and flows right down on top of it. That’s in the left side of the Sump. Then it goes over one divider, and into the section with my skimmer, heater, and return pump

What would be a good pump for a 10 gal display and a about 4 gal sump with a 3.5 ft head, 1 ball valve and 2 pvc elbows. I have a 290 gpm $20.00 pond fountain pump that has been running nonstop for 2.5 year. I’m thinking about an upgrade. It was running a little noisy a couple days ago. I turned it off and back on and it’s been quiet ever since, but it got me thinking about replacing it.

I’ve always been a fan of the Mag Drive pumps. Used them for 25+ years. My last one I was using was 10 years old. I decided to switch it out the other day because it’s loud

I’m trying this new Simplicity DC 1000 pump instead because it’s pretty quiet. I’m sure I won’t get the longevity out of it like a MagDrive, but it’s adjustable without a ball valve and dead silent

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

Hi David

You may want to start your own thread so you get some answers. This is only my opinion

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I’ve got a large media box directly under the overflow with 2 cups of carbon and about 4” of filter floss on top of it. The water exits the tank and flows right down on top of it. That’s in the left side of the Sump. Then it goes over one divider, and into the section with my skimmer, heater, and return pump

I probably wouldn't overthink it then. Nothing in that list really requires fast or slow flow through the sump.

You would be surprised at how little flow you actually have, probably around 200- 240 gph. For comparison I use a DC10000, max watts of 80. With the 1 inch pipe (outlet is 1 1/4) I had 275 GPH at 35 watts power draw. If I ramped it to max I could get up to 490 GPH. I changed pipe to 1 1/4 all the way to stock reefer return and have a tee for reactor. At same wattage I get 316gph and 55 thru reactor. If I close reactor it only goes up about 18GPH on main feed.
The pipe size has a big effect on flow.

I don't think the Inexpensive DC pumps do well with head pressure. 14ft, 10ft is BS they fall off pretty hard around 6-8ft. A/C pump definitely better at fighting head pressure but can be noisy and run hotter. But are probably more durable.

That being said I run 3.4x turn over. And you are right in that ball park. 3-5x is general consensus.

You would be surprised at how little flow you actually have, probably around 200- 240 gph. For comparison I use a DC10000, max watts of 80. With the 1 inch pipe (outlet is 1 1/4) I had 275 GPH at 35 watts power draw. If I ramped it to max I could get up to 490 GPH. I changed pipe to 1 1/4 all the way to stock reefer return and have a tee for reactor. At same wattage I get 316gph and 55 thru reactor. If I close reactor it only goes up about 18GPH on main feed.
The pipe size has a big effect on flow.

I don't think the Inexpensive DC pumps do well with head pressure. 14ft, 10ft is BS they fall off pretty hard around 6-8ft. A/C pump definitely better at fighting head pressure but can be noisy and run hotter. But are probably more durable.

That being said I run 3.4x turn over. And you are right in that ball park. 3-5x is general consensus.

From what you’re saying and what I’ve read I agree that they fall off quicker

The thing I have going for me is that I can see how hard the output is going into the tank so I’ll just keep adjusting it by eye since none of this other stuff has any scientific backing really