• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fluconazole/ Reef Flux for bryopsis/ hair algae

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Has anyone used this for Bryopsis and hair algae- it's normal use is to treat fungal problems. I've read that it will kill bryopsis and hair algae- not a long term control, but a good place to start while getting your parameters under control

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used it back in 2016/2017.....it's a miracle. The bryopsis just melted away with no harm to fish or corals. This was back when you had to actually buy the capsules and open and empty them out. Just be ready to do frequent water changes when the algae starts to die and melt away....after about two weeks or so if I remember correctly.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've used used and can say that it
definitely does work but.....
I did get a cyano outbreak afterwards, nothing too serious but it did get it. Like @redfishbluefish mentioned, I used it with the capsules that you had to open up.

Aside from that no ill side affects to fish or corals.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Does this handle Turf algae too ?

eholceker

NJRC Member
It 100% works for bryospsis but is not 100% safe with Acros. It decimated my acro colonies and I am still dealing with the fall out 9 months later.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Any body have experience with this and turf algae. Want to try it