• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

For all you old guys

I was never a big water changer, but I've gotten back into the rhythm. One small obstacle was taking my canopy on and off. I didn't want to go the pump route as I've tried that before and I didn't like it.

This thing pumps a 5 gallon bucket in maybe 45 seconds. Not exactly speedy but could save some backs. I forced the soft tubing through a few pieces of pvc elbows that roughly fit over the rim /canopy as to not have to hold it in place myself.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have one as a backup if my basement sump pump fails. Its messy to use. It might not be a good fit, why not an electric pump. Just mu $0.02

I have one as a backup if my basement sump pump fails. Its messy to use. It might not be a good fit, why not an electric pump. Just mu $0.02
It's a little messy yes, but 100% of the leak leaks straight down the red part back into the bucket. I've used it maybe four times now and I haven't spilled a drop. Im not using a pump cause I'm sick of plugging stuff in

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
When I do water changes I use an electric pump; dumps 10g in 5 minutes. My biggest problem is draining as I have to carry and dump the buckets. This why I only do 10g once a month.
Edit: I plug the pump into a power strip and use that switch to turn pump on and off.

Last edited:
When I do water changes I use an electric pump; dumps 10g in 5 minutes. My biggest problem is draining as I have to carry and dump the buckets. This why I only do 10g once a month.
Edit: I plug the pump into a power strip and use that switch to turn pump on and off.
Ahh yea. Maybe I should have clarified. I still siphon out buckets the "old" way. That's not a big deal. I just got sick of taking the canopy off to put water back in. I only use this pump for transferring a bucket of water back into the tank.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I used a mag 18 for years. I just replaced i t with sicce Ultra zero pump .
carrying buckets is horrible

Attachments

• DD37787A-1C3E-42EF-9C9C-9E4463E573FC.png
    DD37787A-1C3E-42EF-9C9C-9E4463E573FC.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Unpopular idea I suppose ‍

At one point I used to use a pump and did larger water changes from across the apartment. I didn't like it. I wanted to put a remote on it, but I never did.

Kids running around cords and tubing everywhere. Then I gotta empty the line. Next system I'll have a system like this, but not in my apartment. Too much

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I just put the ATO pump in the bucket of new water and then siphon the water out of the tank. Siphon hose goes right outside the back door. Takes about 5 min. to change 10 gal.

horseplay

NJRC Member
My sump is dirty as well, I never had problem causing a detritus storm. Every once a while I siphon the sump. It's a little bit elevated just enough to get most of the gunks out.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
For tanks smaller than 100 gallons I would do auto water change using a doser.
The RODI line is easy to hide. If you use an apex dos can do
water changes by pressing a button on your phone is amazing.
You can changing about 7 gallons a day. The temp of the water doesn’t matter since you ch age so little.

To clean the sump I use a bucket head from Home Depot or Lowe’s. It’s a little small wet vac that uses a 5 gallon bucket.

Attachments

• 0CADC729-10CB-4EC3-9BB0-A4FB0F207474.png
    0CADC729-10CB-4EC3-9BB0-A4FB0F207474.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Rueric

NJRC Member
I’ve recently purchased a jebao dcp6000 to help with my water changes.
I got a 50 foot 1/2 inch tubing to connect it to my toilet to drain out the water.

I then use another sicce return pump to pump water from two buckets to the tank.

Since this is all for my nano tank upstairs in my office, I haven’t figured out a good way yet to not lug two 5g buckets of fresh salt water up the stairs

I’ve recently purchased a jebao dcp6000 to help with my water changes.
I got a 50 foot 1/2 inch tubing to connect it to my toilet to drain out the water.

I then use another sicce return pump to pump water from two buckets to the tank.

Since this is all for my nano tank upstairs in my office, I haven’t figured out a good way yet to not lug two 5g buckets of fresh salt water up the stairs
Run a rodi line to the office

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You don't need a bucket to do water changes. I have a ruler mounted on the side of my tank and knowing the formula for calculating a gallon of water (H x W x L)/231 and the dimensions of your tank (27 * 72) you can figure out how much water (in inches) to remove. In my tank (72 x 27 x 1)/231 means that one inch of water means approx. 8.5 gallons of water. When I do a 50 gallon WC, I remove 6 inches of water. I make salt water in a 50 gallon Brute container and pump that into my tank. I'm too old to lift buckets, too.ruler.jpg