• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Forgot to turn off the flow before adding my anemone

Realized my mistake as he started to blow around in the container, but couldn't pull it out without losing the nem. Watched helplessly as it drifted towards my bubble coral, with visions of the bubble swallowing the little guy. Luckily it drifted under an overhang and I was able to net it over to the spot I hope it will choose.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Grats on the save!
I propose that while netted it will settle exactly where you like it then, within 48 hours, it will migrate to the least visible area in your tank. ;)

I added my first several weeks ago....thought it had attached to a rock I had put in just for it, then went downstairs to find it being sucked into my pump; I got there just in time. Had moved that rock in so it would stay away from my coral, which worked forr two days, when I found it had moved to the base of my main rock, facing the back of the tank—pretty much out of sight and yet close to being a hazard.
Two days ago I found it moved to the top of the main rock, anchored on the underside of my montI cap, tentacles very close to some of my favorite small colonies. I placed a power head pointing directly at it (mesh filter bag over the sides to prevent it from getting sucked in) but it stayed it for two days. Last night it disappeared—no sign of it anywhere. A little damage to a trumpet coral, not sure if that’s from the anemone or the powerhead was too close.
This morning I just found it perched on the highest point of the rock I had put in for it originally, far from my established coral, with room to grow and prominently display. I’m gonna feed the heck out of it to entice it to stay there. Success? Not sure....I’ll check again in an hour.
Good luck with yours

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anemone are hearty. A few years ago I had one impale itself on a giant (ask)it was big,a pink birdsnest. Not one hole but 6 on its foot . At this time I thought he was a goner .Raffle King insured me he would be ok . Put him in his own tank and after a bit of physical therapy he was good to go .So they are not as frail as I thought..

Every nem ive ever owned has committed suicide. Lol. The last one I had was in my tank for about a year and a half, never moved, opened super huge was a gorgeous rainbow bubble tip. And then one day I was looking at the tank everything was perfect, someone rang the doorbell, I answered it, came back and the tank had a white tint to it and stringy stuff everywhere... in the 2 min I walked away it decided to jump into my mp40 which was about 10inches away. And he got sucked in and minced to nothing. Only the foot was left on the cage.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
There are improved cages for the MP series you can get to keep nems out. BRS has a some of them, I'm sure other vendors can get them too.

Dave