• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

forum "timed out" issues

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For the second time today I was typing a response and for some reason the board times out on me. I know I am a slow typer and multitasking at the same time but I never had this problem on my computer which is currently down. I have tried clicking the stay logged on, adding numerous times to stay logged on, and clicked the remember me button to no avail. I will type a post for lets say 1/2 hr and when I hit submit I lose all and it asks me to log in.

If I am doing research or know I'm typing a book, I type it as if I'm typing an email and then cut and paste to the board, but that is really annoying. Any suggestions, I am really frustrated right now.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Sounds like your computer or network. I've been on all day with no problem. Did Mike fix redo Windows for you yet? If not bring it to my house.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The timeout is a function partially of cookies on your system. When you start a message a coookie with the session info is placed on your system. A lot of the "security" programs intercept the cookie. If SMF can't write the cookie, its starts a 2 minute count down.

Get in the habit before you press POST of selecting all and copying to the clipboard, (Click on any text, then press control-A and Control-C. This way if you get a timeout, its a matter of starting a post and pasting the text back in.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I posted this issue earlier this month. It happens to me as well. I have to login everytime I come back.
No fix yet. Happens on an off.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Edwardw771 said:
Sounds like your computer or network. I've been on all day with no problem. Did Mike fix redo Windows for you yet? If not bring it to my house.

The problem happened today on a computer at my house and also on the one at my brother's house? Thanks for the offer, I'm sure Mike will fix it as soon as we can get together unless I get up your way first.

Redfish, post padding can get you reported to a MOD!!!, But I like it LOL

Phil, Thanks for the info, I am definitely going to have to get into the habit BEFORE I submit a big post. Man is that frustrating :mad:

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When we can be a point of upgrading tghe forum software to version 1.1.11 or 2.0 RC3, there is a amin function to directly address the timeout issue. (They let compose timeouts differ from session cookies.)

If im typin a lot ill copy it. So if anything happens i can just paste it and not torture myself retypin it ;D cause i hate typing