• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Grow out Summer 2018 DISCUSSION

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
probably won't be able to get my tank wet till late April but i'll set up the frag tank separately for now just for this contest. lol looking forward to this!

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Glad you’re excited, this ought to be a good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
To me its not only price but care.
Can a brief care sheet specifically for these corals be posted. Not just lighting but water parameters such as alk, calcium, mag, etc.

I’ll try to get this info from UC For us.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
To Answer @MadReefer, you'd want to aim for the basic water recommended water parameters for coral reefs. Zoas will be more forgiving in terms of swings but SPS will require stable parameters to really thrive. keep nitrate and phosphates low, not 0, but barely detectable.

Zoas:
  • Light Level: Moderate to High
  • Water Flow: Moderate
  • Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
SPS:
  • Light Level: Moderate to High
  • Water Flow: Moderate to High
  • Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.025
  • STABLE PARAMETERS ARE KEY.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
You may want to move it the the next weekend. I know I can't be there on 4/1 since it is a holy day for me. I just looked at the calendar and the day before is Passover.

Great that you are starting it on a weekend so people can pick up, but Stinks that you are staring it on Easter Sunday.
Not everyone lives in the area, and can make it to Ultimate Corals M-F.

Any chance you can adjust the pick up date on your contest to Saturday?
Sure a few hours wont make a huge difference.

Should we have the contest start go a little longer maybe and have it begin April 1st but be available through the 8th?

We should have pick up start say April 1st and pictures have to be up by April 8th that will give everyone a week to find time to get to UC, thoughts?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Should we have the contest start go a little longer maybe and have it begin April 1st but be available through the 8th?

I'd say extend getting the frags and getting pictures up for the whole month of April, 2-3 weeks isn't going to be that much of a head start for growth. give people time to grab it without having to be burden of finding time.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Are we allowed to remove the frags off of the plugs supplied?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="jmags080307, That week is also spring break for a lot of schools... I'm on vacation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Pickup is now going to be April 1st through may 1st.

Yes you can remove from plug. I’d recommend against removing Zoas but I plan on taking the Acro off.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can someone post the final details once complete so we all know whats up.
Cost per frag.
Cost of participation.
What winner receives.
Time frame.
Rules.
Etc.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Info is spread all over the place in different threads. I THINK this is current:

Pickup will be April 1st through may 1st. A photo must be submitted by may 1st.
Zoa Prize Pool: $65.00
SPS prize Pool: $45.00
April 1 ends Oct 1
Frags will be $25-$35.
An extra $5 will be added to the price of the frag and will be entered into the prize pool which will be rewarded to the winner of each category in the form of store credit to Ultimate Corals.

In addition, the winner will get a banner under their name on the NJRC forums.

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Info is spread all over the place in different threads. I THINK this is current:

Pickup will be April 1st through may 1st. A photo must be submitted by may 1st.
Zoa Prize Pool: $65.00
SPS prize Pool: $45.00
April 1 ends Oct 1
Frags will be $25-$35.
An extra $5 will be added to the price of the frag and will be entered into the prize pool which will be rewarded to the winner of each category in the form of store credit to Ultimate Corals.
In addition, the winner will get a banner under their name on the NJRC forums.

Thanks

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Diana got it right. I’m working on getting these threads condensed into a subtopic of the “challenges” forum.

This thread is open talk.

There’s another called official which has all of what you just asked for on it.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
can someone cross-post this on r2r/mr/nano-reef/rc? invite some local NJ reefers who might not be NJRC lurkers. could potentially get some new members and active people on here. would do it myself but i'm on mobile.