• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Grow out Summer 2018 OFFICIAL

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
2018 NJRC Frag Grow out Competition

This contest will be to see how a frag of the same coral grows and colors up in our widely different systems.

It will run from April 1st, 2018 to October 1st, 2018

There will be two categories: Zoas and SPS.

The Zoas will be UC Yellow dragons.

The SPS will be Frag Farmers Red Robin Staghorn

One member is allowed to enter both categories

Each member must take a picture of the original frag next to a ruler and post it to the official challenge thread within two days of contest start.

At the end of the contest an updated photo must be posted by 11:59 PM on October 1st to be eligible for winning.

The frags will be supplied by Ultimate corals and must be purchased there. An extra $5 will be added to the price of the frag and will be entered into the prize pool which will be rewarded to the winner of each category in the form of store credit to Ultimate Corals.

In addition, the winner will get a banner under their name on the NJRC forums.

This thread is for official use only, please keep discussion to the discussion thread here: Frag Grow out Summer 2018 DISCUSSION
Frag Grow out Summer 2018 DISCUSSION

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
A few updates on some rules:

Pickup of the frags will be from April 1st until April 15th. Shipping is available if needed.

The price has been set at $30 (with the $5 for the prize included) per frag.

The SPS will be a 1” frag
The Zoas will have 3 heads

IMPORTANT: Everyone must sign up on the google doc ASAP, there are only 20 spots per category.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Notice:

All Zoas must be paid for in advance, Mark wants a solid headcount before he begins fragging.

SPS can either be paid in advance or in store where they will frag it in front of you.

You can pay through PayPal to:

mark@ultimatecorals.com

Payment must be sent as friends and family

Last edited:

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I’m interested in joining this. I it’s not too ate

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Is it too late to get in? I can't add on to the spreadsheet. If it is, thats ok

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Still locked, can you put me down for a Zoa? I'll make the payment to UC as soon as it goes through

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have one question, don't shot me.

Can we place the frag in another tank,frag tank, or must it be in the display tank?

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
New
Okay everyone, frags are set to be cut tomorrow!

I sent all participants a PM to confirm specific details. Please get back to me regarding that.

this is the updated spreadsheet. If there are any errors please let me know, for I have at this time locked the document to avoid confusion.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 26

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Okay everyone, we're coming up on the start of the challenge!

I'd like to thank everyone for all the enthusiasm In joining this. We have 13 members signed up for zoas and 11 for SPS, great turnout!

I'd just like to go over a few things before we get started:

-->Pickup will be available from march 31st through april 15th. You can get your frags from ultimate corals by either visiting the shop or having them shipped (a $35 shipping fee will be added but can be combined with existing orders) Zoas are already paid for and can just be picked up, but most people have not yet paid for SPS, which can be paid for when you get your frag.

-->Frags can be altered and grown however each member wants. Frag tanks are allowed. Remounting and altering the coral is allowed.

--> This contest is largely going to be photo based and will work like this:

1) as soon as the frag is in your tank, take a picture and post it in the appropriate thread (there is one for Zoas and one for SPS) this photo is due by 11:59 pm April 15th in order to be eligible for the contest. Please see these threads for additional info on posting.

2) A monthly update photo will be required for each member in order to remain eligible for the contest. This photo will also be posted to the photo threads. This photo can be taken and posted any time before 11:59 pm on the last day of each month.

3) A final photo will need to be posted to this thread as well, due by the end of the contest (TBD but sometime october/December 2018)

--> Judging:

1) Zoas--> Simply the highest number of polyps at end of contest wins, frags will be 3 polyps to start.

2) SPS--> Members will vote for who they think wins at the end of the contest. This is based off both coloration and more importantly, growth.

I think that's everything for now. If you have any questions please voice them in the DISCUSSION thread and refrain from posting in this one.

Good luck!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It says April 9th is the last day in this post but in the other post for update shots it says April 1st. Which is it the first or the ninth.