• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Swaps?

How are you guys feeling about frag swaps as COVID19 cases continues to rise across the globe... Seeing pictures like this, no social distancing, vendors with a chin diaper, exposed nose...

On queue is Black Friday shopping, Thanksgiving gathering, Christmas parties.. this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better huh...

Scary times, stay safe reefers.

Attachments

• 20201114_214326.jpg
    20201114_214326.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 38

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If it’s held outside I have no problem attending. Covid will linger in the air in enclosed rooms.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I only wear my mistake for 20 mins while shopping including checkout.
So I'm out.

If it’s held outside I have no problem attending. Covid will linger in the air in enclosed rooms.

This looks like a closed intimate setting too. Smh.

Had to drop off my computer at GeekSquad today. Best Buy was only allowing 15 customers in at a time for their giant store. There's an example of trying to do the right thing.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
If there is covid virus in the room’s air you are in, a mask will not protect you. Just think of covid is like cigarette smoke. If you can smell cigarettes smoke with a mask on than covid can easily go though your mask

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Family member died from Covid on March 27th and then the two weeks following 3 friends died. I only go out for food. 5 of my kids are remote learners. I am an EMT volunteer but I stopped doing it last week. My husband and one son have to be very careful not to get Covid do to their health. Everyone should wear a mask properly but the biggest way to stop the spread is to stay home and not invite friends and family indoors.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Frag swaps are not a good idea at this time. I have two small kids so I don’t want them to get sick. I am diabetic so I am the perfect host for covid so I don’t want to get it. At this time I am not very busy with work because my business has taken a hit. So now I just work on fixing my house all the time. We have no guest at the house.
For the holidays it will only be my wife/ kids and her parents.

I have been meeting local reefers to buy trade frags and that’s how I am stocking my tank.

Covid is helping me finish a lot of the work that I need to do at the home. I build my fish room/ office because of covid I was no longer able to work from my office.

Last edited:

Jamie S

NJRC Member
We try to be safe and try to avoid large gatherings however my wife and i are both essential workers and both girls are in school full time so it's difficult for us to stay home. Covid, fortunately for my work at least, has made us a little busier so i'm forced to wear a mask 10-12 hours per day and have worked more hours nthis year than i ever have. It's definitely taken it's toll on me and there are days where i'd rather catch the damn virus than wear this thing for another second. Fatigue has been an issue for the past 6 months as well as acid reflux and heartburn. I like Diana's reference to smoking however now imagine breathing in the smoke that stays behind your mask all day and that's the carbon dioxide that's causing my fatigue. I got my blood oxygen levels tested in the summer and they were fine but I can definitely feel something isn't quite right. I can't wait for this damn bug to go away. Anyway, stay safe reefers!

Family member died from Covid on March 27th and then the two weeks following 3 friends died. I only go out for food. 5 of my kids are remote learners. I am an EMT volunteer but I stopped doing it last week. My husband and one son have to be very careful not to get Covid do to their health. Everyone should wear a mask properly but the biggest way to stop the spread is to stay home and not invite friends and family indoors.

Sorry for your loss. I too lost a family member. Both the in-laws and my wife are immunocompromised as well, so we're trying our best to stay healthy.

Sorry for your losses @diana a and @Wilson

That picture is frustrating to look at. That chin diaper always makes me fume. You might as well go take it off and blow raspberries. Like all of us on here, buying a coral is one of those things that makes me super happy. However, that is not worth it in that picture. Every few weeks I've been going to a LFS or trade/buying from people to satisfy the itch but I've also walked away from a store if the entire lot is full of cars.

I work in New York and changed my commute to go super early and either come home super early or stay late so the bus/subway have as few people as possible. Wife and I used to go visit my family down in MD for pretty much all the birthdays and occasions but haven't gone this year nor will we for a while it seems. Not to mention going to the Midwest to see her family full of people that seem to get hit hard by the flu every year.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I agree. We only socialize with our small group. For frags, I’m only doing one on one with folks who are in my local area. I’ve only had 3 people here since COVID started. No one past the fish room (this one hurts cause I love showing the DT to club members, but it’s in the house)

It may be 99.9% survival for you or I, but we all have people in our lives for which it's not a 99.9% survival rate. Besides that, surviving is only one part of this. We're only now getting to know what sort of long-term problems people who recover may experience. And frankly, even if you're not worried for yourself, there are people around you who are worried and there's something to be said for helping them feel at ease.

It shouldn't be a foreign concept that we do certain things to keep other people safe (or out of respect for other people) even if we don't care about it personally. We do this for cigarette smoking. Heck, why do we have to wear pants in public?

They interviewed a bunch of the scientists in the vaccine trials recently and asked the question - "Would you rather we get the vaccine or that people wear masks?" Uniformly they responded that the masks were more important.

It's not full-proof and frag swaps like the one shown are way too dangerous. Most of us will need to be indoors with others at some point, but I try to keep it to situations where it's a low density of people (no crowded LFS), masks obviously, and only when necessary. But meeting outside, masks in place, and still keeping some distance can all significantly reduce the odds.

How are you guys feeling about frag swaps as COVID19 cases continues to rise across the globe... Seeing pictures like this, no social distancing, vendors with a chin diaper, exposed nose...

On queue is Black Friday shopping, Thanksgiving gathering, Christmas parties.. this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better huh...

Scary times, stay safe reefers.
people are going crazy at home. it's a legitimate mental issue. we are social animals and it's difficult to pull the plug on that. my mom who is at risk because of age and health concerns has been extremely upset with the limited visits to my house to see with the kids. I push social distancing with those visits not only for her well being but for ours. a couple months ago she began attending rallies and protests. I'm telling you guys she is very old. she had a Dr appointment for flu shot and refused to take the flu shot. first time in her life she refused the shot and she told the doctor that covid wasn't real. Dr had to sit her down and have a long conversation and she finally broke and took it.
while she was here for my birthday, she told me she bought a ticket to Florida and she will be spending Thanksgiving with my uncle who is even older than her and has greater health problems then her.

there is no reasoning with her, there will just be a lot of yelling and crying, accusations and other defense mechanisms. people with fragile mental states, I am not talking about mental illness, I am talking about abnormal behavior, this is when someone is acting irrational but their level of irrationality is very low or is masked by other behaviour (example fear of flying, lives a completely normal life but never flies because job or personal life don't require) are legitimately suffering. when you see someone at one of these meets or constantly not wearing their mask correctly, try to understand they are not selfish, ignorant, careless... it is quite possible they are suffering some personality defect. again I don't mean they have a mental illness, these defects and abnormal behaviors can even sometimes just be temporary. the human psyche is a complex process.