• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag tank beginner

Wanted to get some advice on starting a frag tank. Searched online but couldnt find alot of info.

I want to keep this as simple as possible. The goal is to grow out softies and lps with very minimal sps. I have no clue about filtration. Do I treat this as if I was doing a regular tank?

Not sure if I need a refugium/sump. I know it helps because extra water volume doesnt hurt and stability is key but Im pretty good at handling fluctuations in a small tank. Had an AIO for 5 years and dealt with all kinds of issues. Are water changes the same idea? Or do you treat it differently?
Again, trying to not break the bank and add extra items slowly but just need the basics to run. Plan so far…..,

1. setup will be a separate system. Roughly 30 gallons to 50 gallons.

2. Setup will go in basement. Keep in mind my basement is not completely underground. My house sits on a hill so part of it is underground (not sure if that plays a factor or no)

3. I have 2 AI primes I bought 2nd hand at descent prices. I plan to use these.

Any advice would be appreciated. Plan to start a build thread once I get started.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you could connect it to your main display that will make everything easy. I have a big system and it’s all connected into one system.

You could keep using the skimmer/reactors/controller you already own on the frag tank.
If possible you can move the sump to the basement and set up a manifold to pump water upstairs and to your new frag tank. This is also easy in the future to add more equipment or other tanks to your system.

The more water volume you have on one system the more stable it will be.

You can get a 40g breeder and drill it yourself for cheap.
If you don’t like drilling you can buy a zoo med lowboy
Tank for like $130 and you can have the store drill it for you.
I have two of these frag tanks and they work well.

Adding a sump to my main tank would be ideal but it will get to complicated with adding plumbing and drilling into my existing tank. Id rather keep it separate at this time. Thanks for the insight though.
I have a 10 gal I plan to use as a fuge and connect it to either a 30 gal or 40 breeder as you suggested. I dont know anything about drilling tanks but I guess theres a time to learn for everything. Thanks

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Adding a sump to my main tank would be ideal but it will get to complicated with adding plumbing and drilling into my existing tank. Id rather keep it separate at this time. Thanks for the insight though.
I have a 10 gal I plan to use as a fuge and connect it to either a 30 gal or 40 breeder as you suggested. I dont know anything about drilling tanks but I guess theres a time to learn for everything. Thanks

Check with your LFS they can drill it for you. I know
ACC and ocean gallery drill tanks for their clients.
You can also go with something used that’s already drilled.

I run a very successful 20G Long Frag tank.
2 Fluval 50’s. One with bio balls only. One with carbon bag and filter floss.
IceCap 1k for flow
I run a doser for 2 part. It’s an old Jebao that still runs great.
2 24” XHO Blue Reefbrites at 100, grows anything. I have a 50/50 not in use but will be when I up my sps game.
No skimmer.
Still not cheap by any means, but this hobby isn’t to begin with. But I cannot imagine it getting much more simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
very nice and simple. Thank for the insight.

what do you rely on to get ride of your nitrate? I plan on doing heavy feeding to the corals. A refugium in my mind will help immensely as well as a skimmer to keep nutrients down. Do you fee regularly?

very nice and simple. Thank for the insight.

what do you rely on to get ride of your nitrate? I plan on doing heavy feeding to the corals. A refugium in my mind will help immensely as well as a skimmer to keep nutrients down. Do you fee regularly?

So I really rely on the bio balls to do the brunt work. I have a mix of different sizes to really fill up the Fluval 50. I have a Aqua C Remora Nano skimmer I can run if I want to. But I took it off months ago when dosing reefflux to ride of some small bryopsis algea sprouts on some of the frags, haven’t ever put it back in the tank and nothing negative ever came from it.
I have an amazing peppermint worth his weight in gold that rid of any trace of aptasia, he’s a definite MVP candidate. My clowns, the big pair you can see in the photo, are probably close to turning 7. They were my first purchase when I got back into the hobby. They’ve seen numerous tanks and are ideal being the lone fish in this tank, the big female is mean and doesn’t take to anemones. I feed them Formula One medium pellets, I’d think their favorite by how quickly they feed on it, but they eat anything.
I also give a little squirt, almost daily of OrysterFeast and PhytoFeast, which create a huge pod population. I use rods frozen to feed my other AOI 40 and will sometimes drop the remaining juices in the Frag tank for a mix of things for the corals.
For testing, I really only check temp/salinity with my Hannah.
Alk almost daily with the Hannah, Too easy not to. And Phosphate with the Hannah every week or more depending on my lazy level. I keep temp at 78, 1.026 salinity. Alk between 8.3-8.5 ideally, hasn’t changed much in months with the doser dialed in. Phos, even with the daily squirts and the big clown waste typically stays below 10ppb phosphorus, or .031ppm phosphate. Typically is reads below 5ppb on the Hannah ULR phosphorus reader.
Can’t lie, don’t think I’ve tested for Nitrate in over a year, just not a thing I look at or worry about. High pho’s has lost me $1000’s, never high nitrate.
I have my patches of algea show here or there. But reefflux is a great tool when necessary. I’m also very attentive to this tank and will remove individual frags and drop Hyrodren Peroxide on small patches and keep things tidy. My snails do some good work too.
I’d consider myself a heavy feeder currently, but yet again my bio balls are probably 4-6 years old while this tank is only 18 months old, so that’s something only time brings.
I switched to Tropic Marin salt a few months ago and I noticed a change for the better over Fritz blue box. Happy corals and I’m no longer left with that brown sludge in any container which the Fritz is known for.
I do like doing water changes through for some odd reason. I’ve made it quite simply. Mix together 4+ gallons in a jug, leave a small pump and heater in it for a few hour/overnight, and then suck out 4 gallons or so and dump in the fresh mix when I feel like getting in a quick lift. I’m very IDGAF, I will simply lift the jug and get that water in as quickly as I can without splashing, as long as temp and salinity match, I roll with it. The corals don’t even close or blink at it either, it’s a quick shower for them.
Feel free to pick my brain as much as you’d like. I’m not perfect by any means in this hobby, but I love sharing the wealth. I try to hard sometimes to give away Zoas or trade with people. I have about 30 zoa frags now I’m desperately trying to get rid of or trade for other Zoas or lps, even sps now that the tank is doing well.

Salted

NJRC Member
Wanted to get some advice on starting a frag tank. Searched online but couldnt find alot of info.

I want to keep this as simple as possible. The goal is to grow out softies and lps with very minimal sps. I have no clue about filtration. Do I treat this as if I was doing a regular tank?

Not sure if I need a refugium/sump. I know it helps because extra water volume doesnt hurt and stability is key but Im pretty good at handling fluctuations in a small tank. Had an AIO for 5 years and dealt with all kinds of issues. Are water changes the same idea? Or do you treat it differently?
Again, trying to not break the bank and add extra items slowly but just need the basics to run. Plan so far…..,

1. setup will be a separate system. Roughly 30 gallons to 50 gallons.

2. Setup will go in basement. Keep in mind my basement is not completely underground. My house sits on a hill so part of it is underground (not sure if that plays a factor or no)

3. I have 2 AI primes I bought 2nd hand at descent prices. I plan to use these.

Any advice would be appreciated. Plan to start a build thread once I get started.
Your op doesn't say if you have a frag tank itself yet or not. Depending on your location you can't get much cheaper than this; Fish Tanks $1 each, your pick - general for sale - by owner . Get a 20l and a 10 both drilled for $2 and your all set. I'm thinking about grabbing one myself because, well, I'm cheap and a hoarder.

Salted

NJRC Member
I try to hard sometimes to give away Zoas or trade with people. I have about 30 zoa frags now I’m desperately trying to get rid of or trade for other Zoas or lps, even sps now that the tank is doing well.
Location? I like zoas, I doubt I have anything you don't though to trade.

D

Deleted member 27248

Not sure where you are but.60g frag and
Stand. $250

Attachments

• 57B6600F-D569-4CA3-BE52-7CF387125032.jpeg
    57B6600F-D569-4CA3-BE52-7CF387125032.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Not sure where you are but.60g frag and
Stand. $250
Thanks. Thats a great deal. I just need to get less than 60g though. I decided a 40-30 would better suit me, especially with the type of water changes I need to do (vol wise). Thanks for the offer though