• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fragging Jaw Breaker Mushrooms

I am new to the hobby, lol I have purchased my tanks from a friend who is moving. He needed everything out of the house to sell it. There is 50 to 75 JB mushrooms that need to be fragged. Does any one have any good guidance or material that either read or watch on the best ways to do this?

Attachments

• 673F839C-E1CE-4168-857B-F351F558C518.jpeg
    673F839C-E1CE-4168-857B-F351F558C518.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 147
Nice, interested in buying some once you frag em up. Are they on a rock? I usually do hammer and chisel. Not as precise but it works!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hi Kev and welcome aboard!
There's a ton to learn in the hobby and a ton of people here to help.
Where to start... How big is the tank in gallons? It looks like 10.
Whats in it - fish, coral, mushrooms, and amounts? Can't see fish, though they may be there.
Did he sell you the unit to make RODI water and do you have the requirements to convert that RODI water into saltwater?
And more...

There's going to be a ton of information in these forums coming at you fast if you're not experienced and have purchased a running system.
If you post daily, folks here will help you along. Start with every detail about your system and everything associated with it.
If you get overloaded, drop me a PM.

Also, unfortunately, have to let you know that those mushrooms do not seem to be JBs.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, what is pictures is a 30 gallon frag tank. In this tank is mostly mushroom coral , a couple Zoa, and frog spawn. No fish in the frag tank. With the purchase comes a 60 gallon cube, etss protein skimmer, complete RODI 5 stage system for water and making salt, ATO, sump and fuge, with all that it’s around 150 gallons. Ai hd 26 light, fuge light, not sure of the light over the Frag tank. Fish are two goby’s, a clown fish, yellow tang, angel fish, peppermint shrimp, etc. mostly a reef tank.

Not a 100 percent sure but they do look like JBs. because the one in the center has red in it. That is a very good buy and the best way to get them off is to cut the rock with a saw.

Bot587

NJRC Member
more than that, based on the size... But, I agree with the other poster, they don't seem like JBs. Look at the fluorescence of the torch. I do see the red as well, but texture seems wrong - could be camera, but based on torch JMO.

One thing I will tell you, If the are Jawbreakers, and to do appear to be, DO NOT FOLLOW WHAT IS POSTED IN THAT VIDEO.
You will likely end up with zero Jawbreakers.

Perhaps someone here would be willing to help you out for the cost of 1 or 2 of them. Sell a couple and buy the proper tools to do it right.

I am new to the hobby, lol I have purchased my tanks from a friend who is moving. He needed everything out of the house to sell it. There is 50 to 75 JB mushrooms that need to be fragged. Does any one have any good guidance or material that either read or watch on the best ways to do this?

Perhaps you can offer your location. Members can better offer suggestion as to where you can go to move forward.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I would love some of them if they are in fact JB :) I can offer any assistance required. I am north NJ. Although I am on the bench recently with my tonsils being removed :(

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Kev,

Cool deal, seems like you have all the equipment. Do a bit of reading, search these forums (as well as ReefCentral and Reef2Reef) for starter advice, and ask a ton of questions.
Things in this hobby can go south fast, as in hours, if things go wrong.

For now make the RODI water, keep the salinity of the tanks at 1.024 to 1.026, keep temp around 80, do water changes (for a 30 gallon 5 gallons a week should be more than sufficient, for a 60 5g should be good, 10g much better), and keep the tank topped up with RODI water (a 30 gal could evaporate a quart+ of water a day).

Learn via vids how to dial in the protein skimmer and empty as required and if you're running any media filtration (like floss) change it out every few days.

The AI26HDs are great lights, just try to keep the white levels at 20% or below as they tend to grow algae better than corals above 20%. Keep the blues and the purples high with the UV in mid range and the reds and greens around 10% and you'll get great color and great growth. I'm running one on a 40 breeder with good results, if you want my program drop me a PM.

FYI, as a new reefer. You want to top up your tank due to evaporation with non-salted RODI water. As water in your tank evaporates the salt stays and its concentration increases. The only time you add salt water to your tank is when you do a water change, 1g of salt water out replaced by 1g salt water in.

Sorry if I'm coming across as 'all knowing', I'm not by any means and am just trying to help, I seek help here often. Just assuming you're brand new to reefing and want to offer some basic advice that threw me off when I started to help you succeed.

M

And as per the mushrooms...
Here's a shot of a few of my JBs. The big one is silver dollar sized, the smaller ones are 50c pieces.
IMG_9185.jpg
If the tank you bought from your friend is filled with actual JBs, you're in for a new car, but, if he/she was so into the hobby that he/she knew there was a tank full of JBs and let that tank go for less than a grand or so (or less than 5g or so) thats odd, he/she could have sold off each of those shrooms for a hundred dollars+ each.
In the initial photo you posted the hype is around the one shroom on the bottom center near the BRS jug with the red stripe and maybe the one two over to the right with the red wedge.
If you can take some clear closer views it may help identify.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Can you get a better shot? Some look jawbreakerish but not 100%. Some look more like “iron man” shrooms or what’s some sell as “imposter jawbreakers”

Here are a couple of pictures of the jaw breaker mushrooms. I am not selling them at this time. Trying to get everything dialed in and parameters where they should be.

Attachments

• 15BE5530-310F-4776-861A-02185C44B1B9.jpeg
    15BE5530-310F-4776-861A-02185C44B1B9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 88F45C47-79CB-4CE3-8823-5EC7FCF6FDAC.jpeg
    88F45C47-79CB-4CE3-8823-5EC7FCF6FDAC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 9EED423B-7D41-49EB-A22B-C3A5FB7FCA05.jpeg
    9EED423B-7D41-49EB-A22B-C3A5FB7FCA05.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
For me, no need for anything fancy, use a pair of scissors and just cut off half of its lobe.

I mean I've personally just ripped off pieces of mushrooms with success.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It's a crappy shot but I have a similar mushroom, a few floating around

With blues and with orange filter 20190503_190517.jpg 20190503_190634.jpg

I had a ton of very large mushrooms in my previous tank. I tried fragging once. They shrivel up and squirt fluids everywhere, and turn to mush. Its certainly not as simple as cutting them in half with scissors. If those are all JB,s worth some really good $$$. Why not get someone with experience and equipment to come in there and assist.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Those look to be jawbreakers. I would suggest using a chisel or flat screwdriver to frag them. Chisel off a piece of rock under the foot of the shroom this way you can glue it to a plug.