• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fragging Lobophyllia

Hey all,
I've been searching for a few days now and can't find my links I had on these. I have found a very small specimen, 3" or so. I was wondering are these fraggable? I keep thinking i remember reading that you can't, but I am not sure where and don't want to get it if I can't. The colors are absolutely amazing, and I know I won't want to give it up when it gets too big. If anyone had links or knowledge, thanks in advance.
-Jay

C

concept3

Jay, you can frag a lobo. The club did in one of our meetings last year. Sharkey used a tile saw for it. I think 3" is pretty small, and I would let it grow out first before I would frag it myself. One thing to remember is keeping your water as stable and as perfect can be during the healing or post-fragging stage to lessen the chances of tissue necrosis or infection.

I had mine for years before fragging. I was sure it was doing well before I decided to frag it. I would suggest that you keep it for a few months and make sure all is well.
When you frag it use a wet saw and only water from your system. I bagged all the frags in my water that weekend. From talking to Anthony C and Eric B at MACNA DC you don’t need to even have a visible mouth on the frags. Just don’t slice it so thin that the remaining flesh can’t use photosynthesis to survive. I made large frags to be sure that they could make it through the stress.
HIH
S

I know 3" is small, but in a 7gMB, once it doubles there goes all my real estate up front. I wanted to make it my center peice. There are two peices I like, a purple/pinkish, and an orange and pink. They are very bright, but I didn't want to have to get rid of it. Where's the best place to put them? They go in the sand right? I've seen pics of them in both places. I know Open brain is pretty much sand only, but are these the same? I have a perfect spot if they do well on the rocks too.
-Jay

Mine has always been on the LR with no issues.
Just be sure it is stable. If it is rocking back and forth in the current it will not open fully and thrive.
Please post before and after pics. And updates if you do it. 8)
S

Will do! ;D Still deciding on if I want to go with Lobo or some Acans in that spot. Just wanted to make sure I did my research before picking it up.