• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Free Sea Lettuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@Kovacjr I have been thinking about using sea lettuce once I install a larger sump in the next few weeks(ish). Can you tell us anything about it? Is it really that much of a better grower then chaeto? Is it more hardy as I've heard it described? Really anything you can think about it I'd like to hear. Thanks

Dave

radiata

NJRC Member
Only negative thing about Ulva lactuca is the fact that it grows in sheets and can therefor block overflows. It can be used to feed your fish and any epicures you happen to know, unlike any Chaetomorphas that I know of. If I were closer to Hazlet I'd get some to feed my tangs.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Thanks, that’s good info. Does it float? I’m going to add on a new sump, with a section for the refugium. Hearing that changes my plan a little. The new sump is going to be 28x42x29. Maybe I’ll section it off with egg crate, to allow water to flow through the whole section.

Well I started with a 1 oz amount a month ago and its grown 10x over. I have it in a flow through fuge basket in an AIO and never has it clogged or slowed flow. Its pretty hardy.

I think I need to take more out too as my nitrates are 0 daily and my Phosphates are at .01, Need to find that balance of how much to keep in there. Though the corals are doing great. Just getting a nasty brown algae now like fur on the rocks, worse in the higher light areas. I run no white, am I running too intense of light? I'm 13" over the water and 40% on a Hudys 26

So this was 4 weeks of growing. 1 Gallon bucket. Filled to the Qt line and packed.

54268024_574756169677480_5909214635189338112_n.jpg

This was at least 2x what I started with a month ago. Bought 1 oz.

53761158_2763313647042007_1290229367087038464_n.jpg

This is very interesting. Tank not cycled yet but live practically right next door to you in Keyport. I will check in when I am in that phase of the build. Thanks

DangerDave

NJRC Member
If everything is still looking good, I don't know how worried about a zero reading. If the nutrients that is being produced by feeding is being used by the corals and sea lettuce, a zero is what you want. Balance is good. I don't think you'd run into any issues unless you reduce bio load on the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.