• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Freshwater rocks

aright i have a 55g cichlid tank and a 29g reef tank

if Santa brings me enough money im gonna upgrade my reef to the 55g.

i have like 50lbs of what i think is called "tufa rock" (http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/9/9367600042B.jpg)
bought it at petco a long time ago, its currently in my cichlid tank.

Is there a way to clean off the "tufa rock" (whats the best way to compleatly clean all the algae and everything off it) and put it into my new 55g reef tank along with 50LBS of real live rock to let it cure for a however long it takes?

will there be problems in the long run with this tufa rock....from my understanding it would become "live" after being in the tank with real liverock for a while

sould i put in the live rock first or anything, any suggestions would help

also if anyone has any 48" sort of lighting system pplllease let me know

You can use a new tooth brush to clean the rock.... do not use tap water to rinse. Make a pail of ro/di or salt water, use that to clean the rock, then get a clean garbage can/ or old fish tank fill it with salt water and put the tufa rock in it with a heater, a piece of live rock and power head. let it soak for a few weeks, checking the parameters every few day's, be sure to do a water change or 2 before putting it in your tank, once you have a constant reading of 0 amn and nitri it will be safe to put in your tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you ever use copper in your tank? Any other meds that you put in there? If you've used either I would toss the rock or find another freshie to sell it to.