• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fritz blue box alkalinity

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I recently decided to switch salts, was using BW Neomarine but it had a low alkalinity of 7.5dkh. I wanted to raise it to closer to 9dkh and decided to go with the fritz blue box also because it was cheaper. But when I did a water change last week my alk dropped from 7.5dkh to 6.8dkh! I did my usual 20 gallon water change on the 125. I mixed a new batch of salt and tested it twice with my Hannah alkalinity tester and both times tested 5.5dkh. Anybody else use this salt and experience this? I now have to dose 2.17oz of BRS alkalinity with each new 30 gallon batch to get it up to 8.5dkh

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I used Frits for some time but I went back to the cheap stuff.
Instant Ocean reef crystals. I use both the regular instant ocean and the reef crystals.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I used Frits for some time but I went back to the cheap stuff.
Instant Ocean reef crystals. I use both the regular instant ocean and the reef crystals.
Thanks. I really like the Neomarine but the alk is a little lower than I wanted. Maybe I’ll go back to it and dose a little alk with each new batch.

I used Fritz RPM blue for a few years, didn’t notice the alk drop because I am dosing 2-part. Highly suggest that you start dosing 2-part if your alk fluctuates

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I used Fritz RPM blue for a few years, didn’t notice the alk drop because I am dosing 2-part. Highly suggest that you start dosing 2-part if your alk fluctuates
I do run kalk through a stirrer and it keeps stable around 7.5dkh but I want it closer to 9. It’s definitely the salt because when I made a new batch and tested it, it tested at 5.5dkh

I do run kalk through a stirrer and it keeps stable around 7.5dkh but I want it closer to 9. It’s definitely the salt because when I made a new batch and tested it, it tested at 5.5dkh

Why don’t you match your tank alk with the new water?
This could stress your coral in a long run!!!

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I didn’t realize the difference until I saw it on my next trident test after the water change and quickly added alk to bring it back up. The next batch of water I made I did add the recommended 2.17oz of alk to bring it up to 8.5dkh before doing the water change. I just made a new batch of saltwater last night so I’ll test it again before doing the next water change and add the necessary alk.
Why don’t you match your tank alk with the new water?
This could stress your coral in a long run!!!

If I’m not mistaking your alk it’s normally at 7.5.
Match it to 7.5 wish your tank stays at no to 8.5!
Test test and test this is something
I learned this from John.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
It does usually maintain around 7.5 except for when I did the water change with the new box of fritz last week. I’d like to keep it closer to 9 and that’s why I switched. After this box I’ll have to come up with a plan B

Attachments

• 4D20E7F3-FCDC-4B87-8C0A-29DB3683FEFD.png
    4D20E7F3-FCDC-4B87-8C0A-29DB3683FEFD.png
    410.8 KB · Views: 1

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You should get a salt that mixes at the level that you
Want to keep. That will make your life easier dosing
Every time you do a water change is no way to go.
Find a salt that mixes at 8dkh and you will be golden

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s why I bought the fritz blue box. It said it mixes between 8-9dkh

Fritz didn’t perform like you wanted but your plan
Was still good. I would find another salt that is similar in the range you want to keep.