• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fritz blue box

So I'm switching to fritz blue box from tropic marin it should arrive next week sometime. I have a question for anybody using the fritz, if I mix to 1.025 what should I expect the actual alk levels to be? Fritz says it mixes at an alk of 8-9 for 1.0264 on there website. I mix to 1.025 so I'm expecting a bit lower alk anybody have any real world experience?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
the only requirement I have with a salt is that it’s individually packed.
so when I use ocean reef crystals i makes sure I get the 200 gallon box
with 4 x individual bags. fritz makes a salt box that has 4 x individual Bags
try to get that one

the only requirement I have with a salt is that it’s individually packed.
so when I use ocean reef crystals i makes sure I get the 200 gallon box
with 4 x individual bags. fritz makes a salt box that has 4 x individual Bags
try to get that one
I picked up the 200 gallon box so I'm assuming it's the 4 bags but I have no clue yet until it comes in.

I dont consider Fritz a premium salt but you will find out on your own.
I wouldn't categorize fritz as premium myself either but tropic marin at 100 a bucket being a "premium salt" shouldn't mix so dirty so I'd rather pay less for an average salt and get a average salt than pay premium pricing and get average salt quality. I tried multiple buckets of tm recently and it all mixes dirty now unfortunately. It's a shame because it was a great salt.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I believe salt is salt. They all work so get what works for you.
“Premium salt “ is all marketing. BRS has made people believe a dirty container is a problem. I use 50 gallon mixing barrels. I clean it in the spring if it’s too dirty I throw it away and get a new $40 mixing bucket. I use reef crystals $40 at chewy delivered to my house. 200 gal box. So for $40 I get 4 50 gallon water change.
I make 50 gallon water change every two weeks. So $40 for two months of water change.

Last edited:
I believe salt is salt. They all work so get what works for you.
“Premium salt “ is all marketing. BRS has made people believe a dirty container is a problem. I use 50 gallon mixing barrels. I clean it in the spring if it’s too dirty I throw it away and get a need mixing bucket. I use reef crystals $40 at chewy delivered to my house. 200 gal box. So for $40 I get 4 50 gallon water change.
I make 50 gallon water change every two weeks. So $40 for two months of water change.
I have to say tropic marin never mixed dirty for me like it does now and it's mixing dirtier than when I use to use reef crystals which is sad because of how expensive it is. Hopefully someone can chime in about my original question at some point.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I remember reading a big discussion on R2R about TM mixing dirty. TM now has Turkey making it. TM claims the Turkey plant is making the salt the same way as Germany. Some say that the clean one was made in Germany, and find the Turkey salt is the dirty one. Did you try heating your RODI water first before adding the salt?

I remember reading a big discussion on R2R about TM mixing dirty. TM now has Turkey making it. TM claims the Turkey plant is making the salt the same way as Germany. Some say that the clean one was made in Germany, and find the Turkey salt is the dirty one. Did you try heating your RODI water first before adding the salt?
The water is usually room temp or colder when I start mixing. I usually turn the heater on at the same time as the powerhead then start adding the salt mix and I add it slowly not just dumping the salt in.

I'd like to clarify as well I didn't start this post to discuss which salt is better than the other. I'm just looking for the info I asked about what to expect the alk levels to be in the fritz blue box from fellow reefers. My reasoning for switching is not relevant so please stay on topic. If not possible then im fine with mods closing this post and I'll look for the info elsewhere. Thanks all