• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

frogspawn question

i have a frogspawn that has large clear bubbles in the middle of each head. can anyone tell me what this is?

downsized_07010919381.jpg

I think it is the body of the coral....and perhaps from being stressed...now where is Bill when you need him.

It may be growing a new head, but I've not seen a bubble like that before.

Where is the mouth in relation to the bubble?

I def think its a new head...i just bought one today and the guy had a few that looked just like it he said it always does that as its growing a new head...give it a week or two and youll see it take shape more.

I've never seen a frugspawn grow a new head like that before. Be sure to take more pics as it develops, I'd love to see how it forms from that bubble.

My frogspawn does this and I have no idea why. It will go away. I also don't think it grows a new head like that. I could be wrong though.

thanks guys. i felt the bubble and it is really soft. almost like a bubble you would blow with a piece of bubblegum.

fantom555 said:
I def think its a new head...i just bought one today and the guy had a few that looked just like it he said it always does that as its growing a new head...give it a week or two and youll see it take shape more.

Well maybe, but there are about 150 heads of frogspawn and hammers in the pic below that I grew from 6 different frags that totaled about 20 heads and I never saw a bubble on any of them.

I think something is irritating it and will go away in time. That's my humble opinion. ;)

297_04_05_09_5_52_47_1.jpg

ynotme4886 said:
Thats a ton of frogspawn and hammer....what type of flow do you have them in?

Low to moderate with random surges. The flow from the return pump is under 300gph. There is a korallia 3 and 4 in the tank. 4 maxijet 1200's are timed by the ACJR to cycle on varying from 1 minute out of 4 to 1 out of 12 minutes.

blange3 said:
ynotme4886 said:
Thats a ton of frogspawn and hammer....what type of flow do you have them in?

Low to moderate with random surges. The flow from the return pump is under 300gph. There is a korallia 3 and 4 in the tank. 4 maxijet 1200's are timed by the ACJR to cycle on varying from 1 minute out of 4 to 1 out of 12 minutes.

Okay....I always worry that I have too much flow on mine....but have never seen any damage caused to either my hammer or frogspawn by the flow in my tank. Guess its a balancing act and finding a low flow area is not always an easy thing.

Any suggestions on a retracted frogspawn.
Water quality is good
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.2
Mag 1350
Calcium 450
Alk 10 dkh
It is in the same spot for a while and was doing well in that location. Im baffled

temp swing due to heat change perhaps. Mine was not happy yesterday but it was hot in the house and the chiller isnt hooked up yet