• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

funny but true story that is still happening to me

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Awwwwwwwwww. What a cutie. I can't believe it could survive so small! Good luck!

Best of luck with the hand feeding, never tried with a bird but I did have to hand feed sugar gliders back when I owned them and a female rejected 2 joeys.

My daughter (only 3) adores parakeets she begs for one everytime we go to get dog/cat food, one day one or two will join our family.

If they are anything like hamsters if the babies are touched by human hands the mother will reject them. I saw it actually happen many years ago when I had hamsters and researched it a little.

i think its the same with birds, we didnt touch him, she just threw them out of the nest, there was two, the other one was born few hours before. She threw them out, i used a rag to put them back in, she threw them out again...

So i quckly got on line started to read what to do, im clueless what to do with baby birds. next day ran to the petsmart bought some bird baby food, and started hand feeding, the smaller bird died next day, he was twice smaller then this one.. :(

If you need help hand-feeding the parakeets, please don't hesitate to ask. I raised many baby birds, including my 8-year old Yellow Nape Amazon. My GF bred birds for many, many years, and that's how I gathered my experience.

If you aspirate the babies, they will die. It can be tricky, but if you follow the babies "motion" it should work out all right.

Too bad Mama rejected her babies. :(

---
Wendy

For the record, if you find a wild baby bird and know where the nest is, and put it back, the mother most likely will NOT reject him/her. :) Birds don't have the same sense of smell we do.

Some birds may be hesitant to go back to the nesting site once a human/predator has been spotted, but most will overcome their fear and maternal instinct will set in.

Robins, hummingbirds, chickadees, gold finches, house finches, Mockingbirds, just to name a few all will accept their babies back (in my experience).

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy thank you, we definitely don't know what we doing, all info i found is to keep them warm (95degrees), baby bird formula, 102-107 degrees. Thanks basically it..

Question: When do we stop feeding every 2 hours? I'm slightly loosing my performance at work without getting my sleep. I bring the bird with me to work btw.

If you aspirate the babies, they will die.

What do you mean by this? Please explain.

How old is the chick now? Has he/she developed normally so far? You should feed every 2-3 hours until he is 2 weeks old. Parakeets develop rather quickly and grow up fast.

"Aspirating" means the food enters the baby's air sack instead of its crop. Birds don't have lungs like we do, they have air sacks, but they function like lungs. IF formula enters either air sack the baby will drown. There is no emergency procedure for it. After each feeding the chick's crop should be nice and plump.

Another indicator that you can slow down on the feeding (every 3-4 hours) is when the chick doesn't appear hungry when you approach. Don't feed unless the chick eagerly bobs his head up and down and makes "begging" noises. :)

Are you using a syringe or a spoon to feed? It's almost impossible to aspirate when using a spoon. Many commercial bird breeders feed their many chicks so rapidly with syringes, that the chances of aspiration doubles.

---
Wendy

volk23 said:
JerseyWendy thank you, we definitely don't know what we doing, all info i found is to keep them warm (95degrees), baby bird formula, 102-107 degrees. Thanks basically it..

Question: When do we stop feeding every 2 hours? I'm slightly loosing my performance at work without getting my sleep. I bring the bird with me to work btw.

If you aspirate the babies, they will die.

What do you mean by this? Please explain.

JerseyWendy said:
Are you using a syringe or a spoon to feed? It's almost impossible to aspirate when using a spoon. Many commercial bird breeders feed their many chicks so rapidly with syringes, that the chances of aspiration doubles.

But syringes do have a benefit of sorts if used very carefully that both breeders and commercial keepers do prefer to spoons that you're not thinking of. Many reputable breeders use the syringe to be able to measure exactly how much each bird is feeding and record both that, and the weight before feeding. It's not fun to do all that measuring, but it really helps keep an eye on them.

However, that being said, I do agree with Wendy that feeding with syringes is not for everyone, especially those who would be tempted to rush through it.

So cute!!! Good luck with them! I demand cute update photos!!! ;D

Wendy,

the chick is 9 days old, we do use syringe to feed him, i dont feed him every two hours, i feed him when he starts crying, or if i see that the crop is empty and its pass midnight and I need to go to sleep.

We are not trying to rush thru it, we just feel bad for the bird and trying to help him.

Will definitely post some new pics later.

Thank you very much for your help and support everyone!

volk23 said:
Wendy,

the chick is 9 days old, we do use syringe to feed him, i dont feed him every two hours, i feed him when he starts crying, or if i see that the crop is empty and its pass midnight and I need to go to sleep.

We are not trying to rush thru it, we just feel bad for the bird and trying to help him.

Will definitely post some new pics later.

Thank you very much for your help and support everyone!

Sounds like you're doing everything right. :) I hope you know that this baby will look at you as its Daddy. He will be SO attached, SO sweet, you'll be able to do anything and everything with him. ;D

Can't wait to see pictures.

---
Wendy

:( he died this Saturday, I dont know why or what we did wrong....
My wife is very upsad, the birds just hatched another egg. We dont want to go thru this again. Please advise.

volk23 said:
:( he died this Saturday, I dont know why or what we did wrong....
My wife is very upsad, the birds just hatched another egg. We dont want to go thru this again. Please advise.

How old are your parakeets? Was this their first clutch? What type of nestbox is in their cage?

If this was their first time, it isn't all that uncommon for the mom to "get rid" of the eggs/babies, especially if the female is still rather young. They don't know what to do, or how to do it the right way when that young.

Normally parakeets are great parents, and I'm sure in time yours will hatch out their eggs just fine, raise their babies, without tossing them out. :) If they are on eggs again, make sure they have some peace and quiet. The same goes for once the eggs have hatched.

---
Wendy

we had the female for about 2-3 years by herself, got a male about 4 months ago, hes about one year old, few month later, they mated, and she had her first eggs(4). two hatched, 2 didnt. one hatched 5-7 days before the second, the same day as the second hatched she threw the older one out, 2 hours later she threw the second one.

for nets, we have one like this:
p_19472_27767P_04.jpg

and one similar to this, is the one she laid the eggs in:
p_22003_29369P_06.jpg