• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Game changer from Hanna

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Looks like Hanna now has a tester that will test different reef parameters.

I got really excited at first seeing this... But then I noticed that it comes with different reagents for each of the tests. In other words, you still need to stock different reagents. At that point, isn't it just basically one meter that can run all the tests, but those tests still have to be run separately?

If you don't own any of the other Hanna checkers, this would allow you to buy one piece of equipment. But for the cost, it's pretty much the same cost as buying each of those checkers separately. Hanna checkers are normally about $50 each and this replaces a bunch of those but costs $400.

What I'd love is something similar to the AquaSpin (I think that's what they call it) at Absolutely Fish which tests all your parameters in one shot from a single water sample.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The advantage with this product is that instead of having 7 different Hanna tester you buy this one unit that does it all.
It also does the steps with you so you don’t have to keep track of the instructions. This will also store your results and you can see trends.

The aquaspin is over 1k

It looks like it's gonna be cool. But i feel like it's gonna be a better buy for the new reefers. Not much use for those who already own the separate reagents

It looks like it's gonna be cool. But i feel like it's gonna be a better buy for the new reefers. Not much use for those who already own the separate reagents

This was my point exactly. If you're new and own none of the checkers, then it's a good option instead of having to buy 6-7 different ones. But if you already have a bunch (like many of us probably do), it's hard to justify spending $400 for one piece of equipment that is still ultimately testing things individually that I already have individual testers for. Since the reagents are specific for each test that this thing runs, the main thing that one would be saving is actually space (along with having the instructions all on one device). In fact, it may actually be more expensive than buying those 7 testers separately.

And yes, the AquaSpin tester is $1000+ which is exactly why none of us own it. The gamechanger for me would be something that has the ease of the AquaSpin (in other words, run one sample easily that within 5 minutes tests everything for you) for a more affordable price.

Salted

NJRC Member
Even at $300 it would, imho, be only an ok buy once and be done piece, and new reefers aren't gonna spend $400 on this. Let the rich kids buy it and try it, I'm not a beta tester. It tests nitrite, big deal, who here tests nitrite after cycling? It tests both low and high range nitrate. Who cares? The high range checker exists because the low range checker is an over complicated fail. Has the low range testing procedure changed with this unit to correct the issue? Even someone running a uln sps tank would be fine with the high range. Same with calcium. Who uses a Hanna to check Cal.? I recently asked about one at a lfs (one we think highly of here) and was told don't waste your money on it it's too complicated. Nope, I'll stick where I'm at - Hanna for Alk, No3 high range & Po4. Salifert for ph & cal and IO swingarm for salinity. Turn your noses up at it if you must, but both of mine consistently match my Tropic Marin high precision hydrometer yet are way easier to view. And no batteries or calibration needed.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I only test 3 things- Alk, Calc and magnesium. SO this unit would be a waste of money for me. As mentioned before the Hanna calc test is over complicated and takes way to long.
Alk - Hanne tester
Mag and Calc - Salifert
Occasionally will test PH - Salifert