• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

garden eel

malulu

NJRC Member
FYI:
few weeks back some of you guys want this...

I just got 3 mores from Feng, (i have total of 4 now), Feng still have about 5 of them in stocks...

this picture is taken in my tank with iphone
garden%252520eel.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
Such a cool little fish! You're going to have quite the little "garden" for the meeting! I see some Asterinas in your pic, maybe I am going to have to trade you the Tubbs frag for a bunch of them to feed my little Harley 8)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Generally they need an ultra deep sand bed (think 8-12 inches) and they can be very tough fish to keep. They are very peaceful.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I was a volunteer at the aquarium, the garden eel tank was one of the tanks I had to feed. They just got fed krill. I would feed them and then have to go around to the front of the display, make sure all 6 were accounted for, and that they were all eating.

They are really cool and were fun to watch go in and out of their holes. But much like a seahorse, they would need a special set up with deep sand and low to moderate flow or a tank big enough with deep sand, a low flow area, and non-aggressive fish.

i presume you wouldn't be able to mix seahorses with these guys because of the temp difference?

speaking of which - these eels are ok in 78~80 temp?

malulu

NJRC Member
my tank mostly is around 76. excpet those special hot day, it may jump to 82. (Wife keept turning off A/C when no one home!!!)

malulu

NJRC Member
oh, one more thing, i don't really specially feed them...
they some how find its way to right under my auto feeder, and eat the flake food that was sink down.

I got a few from Feng too! Love them, but even with a very deep sand bed - all but one jumped. Here's a cool video from 2009, geez I've had this guy for over 2 years now! :)

[video=youtube;J9oQJ_M7cPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9oQJ_M7cPM[/video]

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! That was neat!

I think it was my ignorance that I just assumed it took them time to make their new home. That eel basically hit the sand and quickly “drilled” a new home. These little creatures always fascinated me once I saw them at David’s house. Nice video!

I'd love to get one but my wife has a thing against"snakes" and eels..thats why I found a new home awhile back for my snowflake eel that when I was single kept in the kitchen:p

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! That was neat!

I think it was my ignorance that I just assumed it took them time to make their new home. That eel basically hit the sand and quickly “drilled” a new home. These little creatures always fascinated me once I saw them at David’s house. Nice video!

Have to agree with Paul. I thought it would take them time to dig out a home... but he literally drilled right in. Awesome vid Sandee, thanks for sharing that!