• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GARF

Has anyone had any experience with GARF (Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation)? I really like their site and would like to purchase their starter "stuff".

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm frequently tempted to order from them too, but the fact that they make it SO difficult to order really dissuades me. Let me know if you order though. I hear they're great people to talk to. Very helpful (as you would imagine)!

lol oh, distance-wise. Well what I was more interested was their agrocrete rocks and grunge and stuff, not other stuff.

and i would LOVE to drive a lamborghini -- if i get a bigger reef tank can i make huge profits selling frags? breeding clownfish?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
garf,
is a little behind in shipping because of jo's illness.
have seen in person tanks using GRUNGE.
Incredible stuff more life than you can imagine.
Losts of hard corals to find price and quality worth the wait.
I ordered 2 purple bonsai frags only $50.00 each.
I aquired a frag from someone who has grown out one of there blue torts
awsome color and very hardy.Well worth ordering from them.
Hope this helps ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
By "difficult to order from" it isn't just click and shoot to order. You have to call them. There isn't (that I've seen) a page with their "products" on it that you could go to and pick from. Maybe it's just me!

Incredible wealth of info though!

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
If you goto the garf home page and look under the PICTURES OF THE WEEK
this is eveything they have and that is now or will be available. :eek:

I just ordered some garf grunge (4lbs) and grunge+ (3lbs) from them.

Shipping was pretty expensive. (like $57 total for the grunge and shipping) It took a few days for me to get a hold of someone on the phone.

The grunge cleared up my new tank water pretty quick, but I don't see all the 'live' critters they pictured on their site. I haven't seen any minny stars or coepods or snails or anything.... It looks like I just got a bunch of shells, sand, mud and fragments.

It probably has a ton of microscopic biodiversity in it, but I was expecting some macro type life (like what was pictured on the web). Granted I have a new tank, and I'm still trying to get my lights fired up, but I don't see much shining a flashlight around.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Alot of times only the eggs of the criiters is in the material.
Unlike sand that packs grunge is much larger and alot of the bigger critters tend to slip through.Give it about 2-3 weeks under your lighting,you should have pods by then.The stars have a much longer incubation period they should pop out in about a month. ;D

I've been doing buisness with them for 3 years. They are extremely knowledgable and they're stuff (grunge,coral etc.) is top shelf.

GARF seems to be on top of their game. I have ordered frags from them about 3 years ago and they are still growing in my aquarium. I have read many of their articles and I think that they do a great job. I do not have any experience with their rock or grunge however; there is an article in coral magazine about using miracle mud which I assume is similar. You will find the article in the feb/mar 2004 issue of coral on page 72 ( the issue with sea horses on the cover)

Tom