• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GAW's Son's Nano Reef 13.5

Running 13.5 Fluval

My son got really into fish, and we started his tank for his birthday. I cycled the tank at another location as 5 year olds, do not understand reasons why we cannot add fish day 1.

Here it cycling:
IMG_3737.JPG

Added 3 fish ( 2 clowns and a yellow banded possum wrasse) and small cleaning crew (3 hermit i got 2 and some shells and surprise another hermit and 2 snails). Salinity was out of wack, so had to add a gallon of distilled emergency water last night, but all the numbers are accurate.

IMG_3787 2.jpg

I plan to add add a skunk shrimp most likely unless other cleaning shrimp are recommended and probably 2 more snails in the coming weeks and a blenny at some point and then onto some basic zoa, xenia, and gsp. Also everyone lived the first night which always my biggest fear, no tears this morning

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've had my Evo for over 8 months and still have no skimmer- parameters are fine- water is crystal clear

Actually can’t use the skimmer but it’s sits under our counter so doesn’t fit just doing water changes and not over feeding... however the clowns or hermits took out the possum wrasse sadly . Didnt make it so holding off anything else .

added a fire shrimp love him doing great

We have a watchman goby as my son tells me from octonauts they have the best eyesight on the reef and one peppermint because I have one aipitasa hitchhiker he seems happy .fully stocked now

john90009

NJRC Member
It should end up passing as the tank ages and it’s getting routine husbandry. You aren’t dosing any type of bacteria right?

Correct I ordered chemiclean to have on standby i siphon it out water changes every Sunday I can’t run the skimmer which I’m sure isn’t helping

john90009

NJRC Member
I try to avoid adding anything to the tank. When you add one thing it ends up converting what you don’t want into something else, which may Inturn be green hair algea everywhere. I think since the tanks new and small with relatively small rock and the additions of more coral, the tank is trying to balance itself with healthy bacteria’s that should end up consuming the nutrients. I would try to tweak feedings and make sure the water change is as clean as possible and over time see what happens. Get some snails for the sand that can help stir it up and airate it a bit. Since it’s a small tank it’s tough but I always believe in letting the storm ride out and stick to your husbandry and stuff normally settles in.