• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GBD - Gas Bubble Disease

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Seems the male that had babies has a swollen pouch for a few days and assumed more babies. Well today noticed he cannot swim either sideways or is upside down.
Research shows GBD but extremely nervous to try the manual way to remove the air. I don't have an eye dropper or catheter.
Debating next step. :(

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I tried but was to nervous doing it. So held the seahorse with 2 hands and let Jackie manipulate the pouch.
So much air came out. Seems to be swimming fine. Will keep an eye on it.

Seems the male that had babies has a swollen pouch for a few days and assumed more babies. Well today noticed he cannot swim either sideways or is upside down.
Research shows GBD but extremely nervous to try the manual way to remove the air. I don't have an eye dropper or catheter.
Debating next step. :(
Mark you have to do it, just suck up all ur doubts and push em aside,, ur pony needs ur help. Step up to the plate and get er done,, if I can do it then I’m sure you can do it
The Erectus is a very hardy seahorse, they can take stress pretty well, but tail rot kicks their ass
I got faith in ya buddy, help your seahorse fart

Mark you have to do it, just suck up all ur doubts and push em aside,, ur pony needs ur help. Step up to the plate and get er done,, if I can do it then I’m sure you can do it
The Erectus is a very hardy seahorse, they can take stress pretty well, but tail rot kicks their ass
I got faith in ya buddy, help your seahorse fart
I just saw ur post about getting it taken care of,, how is he, lord knows how old he is I had him awhile before I gave him to you

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. What works well is to use a hair pin... yes, a hair pin, the kind that has the little plastic bobs on the ends. You open the pin and use one to lightly touch the opening of the pouch then push the air out. Isn't as hard as it sounds.
This is just air in the pouch and not gas bubble disease which is totally different.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
We did that last week and he was fine. Yesterday same problem. Got some air out but couldn't get more. He is not swimming well and will try again today.
I don't like doing it for long cause it stresses him out.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Diamox is the best medication to keep on hand for treating gas bubble disease, and an insulin syringe with a 26-gauge needle can be used to release excess gas from a male's pouch. I've seen Bio-Bandage (Neonmycin-based topical gel) recommended for lacerations.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks Humblefish.
We managed to get the air out today and he swimming fine.
Just hope it's not a weekly thing.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Third week in a row its happened. Will try and relieve the air/gas today.
I read that its probably bacterial why it keeps recurring and to treet with Furan-2 or TriSulphur. Which I have to order as pet store don't carry them.
Also making water to perform a 5g water change.

I read that its probably bacterial why it keeps recurring and to treet with Furan-2 or TriSulphur. Which I have to order as pet store don't carry them.
Definitely do water change can u do 10 gallons instead it would be better I can give u 5 gallons of NSW and u can mix em together with no worries. I do it all time to keep Sal in check

Another thing is if you have an air stone in there, it may be making the bubbles too small and it's getting in his pouch. Just an idea

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
@deetu, no airstone. I turned the flow down few weeks and read maybe not enough gas exchange now.
So increased HOB filter and pointed PH more towards the top.
Burped him a 4th time but my wife saw something solid come out, I missed it.
Did a 5g water change and have added Bacterial Infection Remedy by Imagitarium.
He seems to be swimming much better and was always eating. I would spot feed him when he was bloated.

@deetu, no airstone. I turned the flow down few weeks and read maybe not enough gas exchange now.
So increased HOB filter and pointed PH more towards the top.
Burped him a 4th time but my wife saw something solid come out, I missed it.
Did a 5g water change and have added Bacterial Infection Remedy by Imagitarium.
He seems to be swimming much better and was always eating. I would spot feed him when he was bloated.
Good job keeping him healthy brother much luck with it

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Some further reading stated keeping seahorses at high SG can cause GBD. They recommend no lower than 1.017; mine is safe as the reef.
Considering lower the SG for the QT guy and see if it helps, plan to go to 1.020.
Thoughts?

P.S. Paulie, the article also stated high temps can cause GBD for what it's worth.

Some further reading stated keeping seahorses at high SG can cause GBD. They recommend no lower than 1.017; mine is safe as the reef.
Considering lower the SG for the QT guy and see if it helps, plan to go to 1.020.
Thoughts?

P.S. Paulie, the article also stated high temps can cause GBD for what it's worth.
I’m a believer in low temps you know that
72-73