• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

General contractor/carpenter in South Jersey

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Does anyone in the South Jersey/Paulsboro/Gloucester County area know a good reliable Carpenter/General Contractor that will do work in Paulsboro?

We have not had good luck in the last few years with contractors (including being ripped off twice).

We live in a 1927 Dutch Colonial in Paulsboro. On the second floor outside/underside fascia board is all rotting away and the soffit wood has gaping holes in it. I can see daylight into the attic. This is causing some water problems going inside, then down the exterior walls.

I believe it to be about $200 worth of wood and an entire days work for a good carpenter $700-1000?. I am not the type of person that is looking for cheap, I have no problem paying for quality work, I just have not been able to find anyone that I trust to do a good job.

Phil Gordemer / Peter Lee

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks James, but he looks a bit too big for a quick one day job that is pretty far away from their offices.....but I will keep them on the list..

Well two things. In this economy nobody is turning down any work. Second he is a great person who will do his best to help out a friend. I can tell you that I am 100% sure he will not rip you off.
So keep it in mind in any case if you cannot find a trustworthy person.

Phil,

Our company is primarily engaged in insulation and waterproofing, but we do have a crew that does gutter work. They are a great crew and they do some fascia replacement as part of a gutter install. If you can send a picture, I can ask him if this is something he would feel comfortable repairing. If so, he'll come down and look at it. We are in Atco, NJ which is about 45 minutes away.

Bruce

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil. I also have a guy that works south and central Jersey. I use him all the time when I'm busy.

mikem said:
Phil. I also have a guy that works south and central Jersey. I use him all the time when I'm busy.
Mike
is this guy a general contractor because I'm looking for a person to do some tile work and wood flooring.

Pete

I work for the NJ Carpenters Union and I have gotten work from local people calling our Union Hall and asking the business agents for people to go work on their house. I can assure that if you call your local carpenters union hall they will know exactly who to call out to help you. I don't know what guys down by you ask for a days work, but around here $200-300 is a good days pay for 8 hours of work. I am pretty sure that is statewide union rate but I'm not positive.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is a picture of the type of damage I am talking about. It looks minor, but the wood rot is all the way along the underside, it all has to be replaced. There are about 3 places on the other side of the house the same way, so I think I have to consider replacing all the facing boards all around the house (Red boards in picture) and having everything sealed up.

Though I am a handy type of guy, this is all about having the right tools and I don't even have a ladder tall enough to get me up there.

lgmanor_roof.jpg

Looks to be a flashing problem around the chimney and if it looks that bad from the exterior you can bet that there will be a lot more damage that you can't see.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jcurry@wesketch said:
Looks to be a flashing problem around the chimney and if it looks that bad from the exterior you can bet that there will be a lot more damage that you can't see.

Yep, and my reliable chimney sweep company is going to reflash the chimney after they clean it (We have a lot of fireplac evenings).... now still have to find someone to do that wood work cleanup.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like a PITA job. All the crown moulding has to come off first to get to the red facia boards.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jsantoli said:
Here is a little quote I heard in the union, "Good labor isn't cheap, Cheap labor isn't good"

And I have no problem paying for quality, I am just having a tough time finding someone that is quality.

Phil, sounds like you are still looking for a contractor. I have not asked our guys yet. It does look like a tough job, but I'll at least ask.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bruce K said:
Phil, sounds like you are still looking for a contractor. I have not asked our guys yet. It does look like a tough job, but I'll at least ask.

Thanks Bruce.....

Phil,

My guy is confident he can handle this. His big question is how authentic you want to go. He thinks the soffit is old tongue&groove bead board from the picture. This would be difficult and expensive to replace, but doable. The best thing is to call him directly and he would come down to look at it. His name is David and his cell number is 609-828-0294.

Another person advised that the reason that area has rotted is because the water is running down the shingle folowing the crown molding to the fascia board. The water adhesion causes this to happen. You can talk with David for some preventative options.

Bruce