• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Getting Back in the Game...Custom Tank Help Needed

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Hello fellow reefers,

I used to have a 180-gallon bowfront tank that I absolutely loved and had pretty good success. Unfortunately, I had to sell it and deal with the reality of starting a family and moving out of my townhouse. I have been out of the hobby for over 9 years[3 kids later] and am finally able to get back in the game. I would like to finally build my dream tank[96x42x25H] and need some advice on the best place to purchase. I have already reached out to Coast to Coast and Reef Savvy for quotes. I recently received my C2C quote and was floored with the price, which didn't even include the stand. I was hoping the group could help me with other places to call that are somewhere in the middle of price and quality. This will be my final tank so I am willing to pay a little extra for something that will last. In your experiences, does have a C2C setup[ or similar high priced setup] justify the cost? I don't want to regret the decision several years down the road but I know you get what you pay for as well.

Are glass cages aquariums any good? Customer Service?

Anywhere else in NJ that people have used?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks!

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
C2C tanks are extremely well built, and they sure know it when they hand you that invoice!
Thanks Dave[I actually met you last year at a group meeting in Point Pleasant]. Are they worth the extra money? Or is it better to go with something like glass cages? I would pay the extra money if it is going to last. Also, do you think you have to "buy" their stand as I would rather build my own?

I appreciate your advice.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Coast2coast quoted me a price for a 75g tank $2150 with no delivery. They told me I didn’t have to buy their stand. I got a price from Innovative Marine 75g $1300 tank and stand delivered.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Thanks Dave[I actually met you last year at a group meeting in Point Pleasant]. Are they worth the extra money? Or is it better to go with something like glass cages? I would pay the extra money if it is going to last. Also, do you think you have to "buy" their stand as I would rather build my own?

I appreciate your advice.

It was worth it for me. I wanted a specific size and construction. I wanted a scupper box since the tank was in wall and I wanted half inch glass. I did not need a stand, it was built to fit what I already had in place. It was a plus that I could pick it up local. Mine was by far the smallest tank under construction at the time.

Hopefully we’ll get back to normal one of these days, and can all get together at a meet again!

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
Coast2coast quoted me a price for a 75g tank $2150 with no delivery. They told me I didn’t have to buy their stand. I got a price from Innovative Marine 75g $1300 tank and stand delivered.
Diana,

Thanks for the reply. Are you happy with the Innovative Marine tank?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a custom five foot tank from Glass Cages and couldn't be happier. It was a fraction of what C2C wanted, including shipping. Realize they (Glass Cages), went through a management change and business model change a couple years ago, which addressed some of their shortcomings. Here it is right inside my front door.

1603921877875.png

You can see the build thread HERE.

DON"T USE COAST TO COAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had them build my 8ft in wall about 8 years ago. Even spent the extra coin and had them do the front panel in starphire glass. All seemed fine when I first had the tank set up. Well after I drained the tank for a scroching case of dino's i noticed that the whole front panel had hazy streaks inside the glass. Each streak is about 2" wide and they go all the way across the glass. When my tank is empty the front looks like its full of stripes like the American flag.
From what I have read it's because the panel was put in with the tin side facing the water. I guess the tin is what makes the glass clearer? Not sure. Anyways when the tank is wet you cannot see the stripes and doesn't seem to have any effects on the fish or corals. Just another example of the absolute over priced junk that the entire aqurium industry produces. I would stay away from C2C.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Check out cade tanks from Australia they are sold by alage barn. I thought they where pretty cool tank and iam actually thinking about one.
I had two tanks from glass cages and have been very happy with thwm.i actually still have one which is not setup at this time

Shawn2122

NJRC Member
DON"T USE COAST TO COAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had them build my 8ft in wall about 8 years ago. Even spent the extra coin and had them do the front panel in starphire glass. All seemed fine when I first had the tank set up. Well after I drained the tank for a scroching case of dino's i noticed that the whole front panel had hazy streaks inside the glass. Each streak is about 2" wide and they go all the way across the glass. When my tank is empty the front looks like its full of stripes like the American flag.
From what I have read it's because the panel was put in with the tin side facing the water. I guess the tin is what makes the glass clearer? Not sure. Anyways when the tank is wet you cannot see the stripes and doesn't seem to have any effects on the fish or corals. Just another example of the absolute over priced junk that the entire aqurium industry produces. I would stay away from C2C.
Thanks for the heads-up.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Glasscages you will find reviews on both ends, amazing tanks and great customer support to sloppy silicones tanked and the worst customer service. It seems there is no in between. However they will probably be the best price for a custom tank. If they changed management and got better, I would get a quote through them.