• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GFO not lowering phosphates

So I have been running GFO in a TLF reactor with a flow of about 43 gph and my phosphates are at .12. I am also having an issue with I think may be Lyngba since I still have this algae problem and nothing is touching it. As far as lowering phosphates to help combat this algae should I change over to brightwell Phos remover aka Lanthum Chloride to better handle the phosphate issue. I’m thinking GFO reactor can’t handle the amount I have. 140 total water volume. Any help would be appreciated. I am pulling my hair out with this. This algae started after I beat Dino’s. I think I would rather have Dino’s at this point.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I use rowaphos. just need to go slow

Have a Foxface and Mexican turbos. For some reason nobody touches it. I brushed a lot out but it’s still there. Against my judgment I ended up doing a fluconazole treatment which didn’t do anything to the algae. That’s why I think it may be Lyngba. I did take out one rock spray with peroxide that worked but i can’t take apart the entire tank. Wondering if
I slowly lower phosphates it will eventually die off.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Carbon dosing will remove any amount of nutrient you have in the water easily. Just need to make sure you have a good skimmer. I no longer use GFO it only removes phosphate then what are you going to do with nitrate.

.12 Phosphate is as close to ideal as you are going to get. You drop that too much lower and your nitrates could start spiking or maybe even the dreaded dinos.

.12 is a little too high Looking for .03/.04
my nitrates are currently very high. Not sure what’s going on since my nitrates are usually around 5-10ppm. Had the dreaded Dinos already. Seems like when I beat them I got this algae now. My cure for Dino’s was easier. Blackout and keep tank super dirty.

Carbon dosing will remove any amount of nutrient you have in the water easily. Just need to make sure you have a good skimmer. I no longer use GFO it only removes phosphate then what are you going to do with nitrate.
I have a Skimz Sp207. It is def oversized for my tank. Will research carbon dosing. Not sure what’s involved with that.I’m so confused right now since I was dosing nitrates for a while because I couldn’t keep them in my tank. Now I’m no longer dosing and the nitrates are super high. I hope I didn’t kill off my BB with the fluconazole.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Very simple. Mix 500ml vinegar + 375ml vodka + 125ml RODI water. Start with dosing 2ml a day until it kicks in. You will need to measure PO4 and NO3 for a few weeks until you get the dosage right.

Good nutrient export is critical for algae control.

Very simple. Mix 500ml vinegar + 375ml vodka + 125ml RODI water. Start with dosing 2ml a day until it kicks in. You will need to measure PO4 and NO3 for a few weeks until you get the dosage right.

Good nutrient export is critical for algae control.
Ok did some reading and it does seem pretty simple. So you say dose Vodka and the vinegar together. Why both just out
of curiosity.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok did some reading and it does seem pretty simple. So you say dose Vodka and the vinegar together. Why both just out of curiosity.

The mixture or vodka, vinegar and water Joe @horseplay provided above is the DIY version of NOPOX. It's a combination of two different carbons. Some just dose vodka, some just do vinegar, but I believe the combination works better...a variety for the bacteria to grow. And yes, you mix the 500ml vinegar + 375ml vodka + 125ml RODI water into one solution and now dose that.

I would suggest using NOPOX dosing instructions, and start slow. Note that you need both nitrate and phosphates for carbon dosing to work. The reason for the slow start is because unwanted bacteria could start to grow fast as well....such as cyano. So I would start with 1 ml per 25 gallons of tank water, once a day. Do this for a week, and up to 2 mls per 25 gallons. If you notice an outbreak of cyano, back off to the 1 ml and wait another week. If 2 mls is working out, then after the next week, go up to 3 mls per 25 gallons of tank water.

Here's the simplified instructions for NOPOX (based on nitrate levels):

Measured Level (ppm)..............Daily Dose ml/100 L (25 gal)
NO3 above 10 -------------------------------------3
NO3 above 2.5, but less than 10 -------------2
NO3 above 1 but less than 2.5 ----------------1

So "maintenance" dose is once you get nitrates to where you want them, you continue to dose that amount.....1 ml per 25 gallons. Adjust dose as needed to maintain that level of nitrates.

horseplay

NJRC Member
It will remove N and P approximating the redfield ratio, about 16:1. Yes you have to test and occasionally supplement nitrate as needed. I always keep my N high at least 5ppm.

My nitrates were 5 now for some reason they are off the charts at 80 plus. Don’t k let what happened. They spiked like this back in May also

Attachments

• 291BCCEE-54C9-4109-8C40-92A83E63CDCF.png
    291BCCEE-54C9-4109-8C40-92A83E63CDCF.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 4
I had a big spike as well a few weeks ago!! I just added vinegar and LC and number are back to normal!!! The reason for me was that I move the tank and release all of that!! You have to try to think what you done in those days that spiked up your numbers

Only major thing I did was remove one rock and spray it with peroxide last weekend, but I gave it a RODI bath Other than that nothing since I was in Florida for a 1.5 weeks. I used to dose nitrates also which I also stopped doing a few weeks ago.