• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

GHA

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I’ve been battling this GHA in the 32 biocube for a few months now. I do weekly 5 or 10 gallon water changes. I have a Santa Monica drop algae scrubber but just realized a few weeks ago the light is flashing and I have no idea why. I have a skimmer and filter floss I change a few time per weeks. I tried vibrant weekly for 3 months without success (although I did have a little bubble algae that it took care of.) I siphon out as much as I can during each water change. I know I have a heavy bioload (6 perculas, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 chromis and a diamond goby along with 3 RBTA’s and a mushroom. I just ordered some bio balls and thinking of putting them in and trying vibrant again. Any other thoughts? If I reduce the bioload it would only be by moving the chromis and wrasse to the 120.

Attachments

• 3D44A785-13DB-48BD-9677-78A731555135.jpeg
    3D44A785-13DB-48BD-9677-78A731555135.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is my opinion algae will alway exist in a reef tank.
The solution is to find fish/invert to eat it. 6 clown fish in a tank is hard to keep. It’s not your fish load but the type of fish you keep. I would keep two clowns and one very small tang or fox face to eat the algae. You can add a urchin.
Turbo snails also eat hair algae.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I just got a lawnmower blenny for one tank with an algae problem -cleaned the glass up and now is going to town on the rock- also took the falco hawk down a a couple of notches too

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just got a lawnmower blenny for one tank with an algae problem -cleaned the glass up and now is going to town on the rock- also took the falco hawk down a a couple of notches too

+1 on the lawn mower those are also good small fish that eat a lot of different algae.

The lawn mower maybe ugly but they have a ton of personality.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
This is my opinion algae will alway exist in a reef tank.
The solution is to find fish/invert to eat it. 6 clown fish in a tank is hard to keep. It’s not your fish load but the type of fish you keep. I would keep two clowns and one very small tang or fox face to eat the algae. You can add a urchin.
Turbo snails also eat hair algae.
I have a few turbo and trochus snails and they do a decent job on the glass. I’ve contemplated on getting a small yellow tang to help combat the algae and then move him to the 120 when he got bigger. I was trying to keep in a clown/anemone cube if possible. I wish I could figure out what’s wrong with the scrubber but there’s nothing out there. I may have to contact the manufacturer

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a few turbo and trochus snails and they do a decent job on the glass. I’ve contemplated on getting a small yellow tang to help combat the algae and then move him to the 120 when he got bigger. I was trying to keep in a clown/anemone cube if possible. I wish I could figure out what’s wrong with the scrubber but there’s nothing out there. I may have to contact the manufacturer

Clowns fish are not nice. At the end you will end up with just a pair. A yellow tang if you can find it is a also a great solution. Yellow Kole tang or tominni tang eat a lot of algae.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Clowns fish are not nice. At the end you will end up with just a pair. A yellow tang if you can find it is a also a great solution. Yellow Kole tang or tominni tang eat a lot of algae.
Amato still has a clown he doesn't know what to do with and can't get rid of lol- One mistake I didn't make- and I made a bunch

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I got them all at the same time from the same clutch so I’m being hopeful lol. We’ll see, so far so good it’s only been about 3 months and everyone seems to be getting along. A few have already hosted a nem

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
The problems with clowns is quality of life for the other fish in the tank.
when they breed they mess it up for all the other fish.
i have a 50 Gallon tank I use as a nem tank. I have a bunch of anemones and in that tank I have two clowns and one tang that they allow to live in the tank And that’s it

Jamie S

NJRC Member
The problems with clowns is quality of life for the other fish in the tank.
when they breed they mess it up for all the other fish.
i have a 50 Gallon tank I use as a nem tank. I have a bunch of anemones and in that tank I have two clowns and one tang that they allow to live in the tank And that’s it
I really wanted just the clowns but I couldn’t get the wrasse and chromis out when I moved the other fish so they stayed. I just got the goby a few weeks ago to keep the sand clean.

D

Deleted member 27248

I have tons of snails, hermits, and have been threw lawn mower Blennys...they didn't help my issue....foxface fish cleaned my frag tank in less than a week.whxih is why I'm buying a big one for my dispy. Highly recommend

How long can a young fox face live in a 32 though? I was thinking about raising them then moving them on to one of your tanks when they grow? Would a small one be ok for a year?

D

Deleted member 27248

Most of the foxfaces I've seen lately are tiny.that being said, I have one in each of my frag tanks.