• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

glass scrach removal

Anyone have tip for removing scratches from inside and outside of empty tank? Most arepretty fine swirls but some others are deeper. Or is there no fixing this?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you can feel the scratches I'm pretty sure you can't fix them.

Here is a thread about it on RC. It lists some different methods people have tried.

Glass isn't as easy to "repair" as acrylic. Before you even contemplate fixing it I'd recommend to live with it to see if it is tolerable. The reason I say this is that many people who try to fix their glass end up making it worse in the long run.

So if you live with it for a little while maybe it won't bother you and you won't end up making things worse!

Carlo

I hear of people selling tanks with sand scratches during magnet cleaning. How does this happen, so I can attempt to make sure it doesn't happen to me.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mantis32 said:
I hear of people selling tanks with sand scratches during magnet cleaning. How does this happen, so I can attempt to make sure it doesn't happen to me.

When you get close to the sand bed, sand may get trapped in the magnet. It will scratch the glass if you dont get it out.

The best way to avoid this is to...not go near the sand! ;)
You just have to be really careful not to stir up the sand when you are cleaning near the bottom of the tank.