• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gluing SPS frags

I have a few SPS frags that came glued on wooden plugs. I want to remove them and glue them on to rock. How do I remove them from the plugs? Do I use a razor blade at the bottom? Also do I do any damage to the polyps etc when touching the coral itself while I am handling it?

Also I have this two part glue called Mr Sticky underwater glue. Will this work well?

Thanks,
Ken

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You want to use Cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue or glue from the recent group buy) to glue the frags down. I'm not familiar iwth Mr. Sticky so I don't know if it is cyanoacrylate or not.

Wooden plugs!? I've never seen that before. Just snap it off of the plug. They'll pull their polyps in when you touch them, but you don't really want to use too much force when handling them as you could damage the skin. But overall most are fairly well able to withstand normal handling.

Hi Phyl,

Thanks. I had gotten thr sps from another members tanks and that is whay they were on. When using crazy glue, I assume that I take the coral out of thr water and then apply the glue. Does it stick immediately to the rock, or do I have to brace it?

Thanks,
Ken

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You have to use the glue gel (thick and goopy). Take it out of the water, put a dab of glue on, spray with accelerator if you have it and then put the frag quickly into the glue. If you don't have accelerator let the glue set for a second first. Mount the frag, wait a minute and then put back into the water.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You don't NEEEEED it, but it helps the glue to set faster (but we have that too from the GB). Crazy glue gel, if you're going to use that. Regular crazy glue is too thin.

Just my opinion but Mr. Sticky is garbage, for something called sticky it doesn't stick to anything wet. I use the Super Glue Gel from the Dollar Store. 1.00 for 3 small tubes.

Andy

malulu

NJRC Member
Ken,

IF YOU PREFER, you can do these:
  • wear letax glove
  • use pager tower to dry the base of the SPS and the plug
  • apply this glue gel
  • wait for 2 secs, insert the SPS, hold for 5 secs, make sure it is not loose, rinse it outside the tank with salt water, put them back in the tank

For me, i will do the way Phyl suggested:
  • apply glue to plug, stick SPS in, wait about 5 secs, put it back in the tank!
;D

Thanks. I will try the Crazy Glue gel. I tried Mr Sticky this morning and it really should be called Mr. Sucks. It does not work.
Krn

malulu

NJRC Member
kharn101 said:
wait, so you guys don't drain you tanks then put frags on :eek:. I alwas drain my tank then put glue on it??

kharn101,
??? my guess is that you are refering to glue the frag to the liverock inside your tank?

if YES, i normally do it this way, i glue the frag to either a plug or a small piece of rock (using the gel), then put it back in, wait 30 mins or so, then glue the plug/small-rock to the live rock with these. (i personally like the HoldFast better.)

or, you can apply the glue directly to frag's bottom, then stick it in and hold until it stay. i quit doing that, because it would be difficlut to remove them later on if needed, i rather to use HoldFast to glue them, that way, it is very easy to remove if needed, and also firm enought to stay put.

I tried the club gel this weekend, nice and thick! I like it. I've used zap gel, locktite gel and crazy glue gel. This is the best yet.

Now I have to see how it works with my other hobby, train repairs!