• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

going on vacation

hi there everyone,
we have a fairly new tank with some small livestock in it, 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, one firelight Gobi, one green clown Gobi and snails and hermit crabs, a brittle starfish and 2 sea cucumbers, no corals yet, we are going away to Aruba for a week and not too sure what to do with the fish, the dog is taken care of and someone will come in to take care of the cat , is it wise to have someone take care of fish or is there a way to feed them while we are away? never had to do this before, and we thought finding a dog sitter was tough!

There are many different options. when I go away I give very specific instructions to a friend or neighbor. I have the food prepared in individual containers and even mark them as to what day it should be.

portion out each day's food with detailed instructions for someone to feed your tank. have a seperate container for each day and clearly mark them. try to find someone in the club who is near you and is willing to be an emergency contact. leave that person's number with your tank sitter and tell them if anything looks wierd to call that person if they can't reach you.

I'm going out of town for a week myself leaving this Friday... I have a non fish keeping friend coming in every other day to take care of my cats and to drop dry food into the tanks (I like to use the weekly pill containers you can get at any pharmacy since each compartment is labeled and seperate and they come in different sizes depending on how much you feed) I also have someone from the club here stopping in 2x while we're gone to feed some frozen and to make sure everything looks ok and as an emergency contact for my other friend.

Making sure things are labeled and seperated for each day I think is key, your fish/tank would suffer far more from overfeeding then underfeeding.

I left my tanks for a week before we moved to NJ in the care of my mother... I was sooo scared to look into them when we returned LOL but everything was happy and well even with the every other day feeding (ok so the glass was so covered I couldn't see in, but everything was alive LOL)