• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Going to try and take better pictures

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I found this site online, Aquarium Photography: Five Tips for Better Images, and I will full admit I have not really read the threads in this section but I am going to work on that. I want to start taking better pictures of my tank and corals. I have a Canon Rebel XLS with two different lens (stock and one zoom). I want to get better with taking pictures so when I take meeting pictures and what not I get nice photos. I am going to use my 36g tank (only tank running right now) as my test bed for testing different settings and what note.

I am going to use this thread to showcase my pictures as well as document my settings.

Feel free to follow along and comment/ share pointers/ etc...

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Here my first round of pictures:

Equipment Used -
  • Camera - Canon Rebel XLS
  • Lens - EFS 18 - 55MM
  • Len's filter(s) - Zeikos UV
  • AF
  • Image Stabilizer
Settings: P, ISO: 1600, WB: Auto, AV: ~ -0.07

Focal Length - 18, F number - 4, Exposure program - 2, Exposure time - 1/50
IMG_5746.JPG
Focal Length - 55, F number - 5.6, Exposure program - 2, Exposure time - 1/60
IMG_5769.JPG
Focal Length - 55, F number - 7.1, Exposure program - 2, Exposure time - 1/100
IMG_5777.JPG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Good idea of a thread. My phone seems to take better pictures now when the lights are all on. My "good" camera comes out all blue like yours.

My old Samsung phone was good at taking pictures but my Google Pixel isn't or not at least with my tank.

Now do note I took those photos during the blue time on my lights. I am going to try a day when I can get some during the normal operation to see if I can get less blue lol.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Been trying to use my phone and my Canon. Unfortunately they are both under 5 years old and are computerized, so I do not have the option of taking a RAW photo. Though there is a set of phone filters that supposedly mimics the effect by filtering out the low end blues...
Amazon.com: Zomei iPhone Lens 5 in 1 Cell Phone Camera Lens Kit 140 Degree Wide Angle Lens + 10X Macro Lens + Color-Grad Filters Kit with 37mm Clip for iPhone Samsung Android Smartphones(Silver): Cell Phones & Accessories
Im holding off as I'm upgrading my phone soon and unsure if these will fit whatever I might get.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Here some more photos:

Equipment Used -
  • Camera - Canon Rebel XLS
  • Lens - EFS 18 - 55MM
  • Len's filter(s) - Zeikos UV
  • MF
  • Image Stabilizer
Settings: P, ISO: 1600, WB: Auto, AV: between -1 and 0

Focal Length - 35, F number - 7.1, Exposure program - 2, Exposure time - 1/60