• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gonopora who has success keeping them

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have had a gonopora in my tank for about 6 months and it has seemed to be holding its own. Recently it has lost some color and I’m afraid it may be on its way out.
if you have had and successfully kept and grown them what is your advice to keep them happy and growing.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
From my Expirience you have to feed them. If they eat they will be happy.
Anything with zooplankton.
Reefroids will work as well.
If you feed frozen LRS food has plankton in it.

Attachments

• 2D072508-B835-47C8-B79C-361BD6CD12B7.png
    2D072508-B835-47C8-B79C-361BD6CD12B7.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
They’re fairly easy. Here is mine, it’s about the size of a small grapefruit when retracted. It can open really big. I don’t feed it directly other than what it gets fed when broadcast feeding the fish. They can be aggressive with other corals. This thing has killed about 20 or so hammer polyps, and a couple other montis and zoas. It’s in a spot away from anything else these days. It can open pretty big when it wants, but it’s good for now at least.

6840C060-F506-438C-ADC5-4D1AB516A8CC.jpegAC1DE88F-36C3-4CC8-854B-BF5EC1365FEF.jpeg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
They’re fairly easy. Here is mine, it’s about the size of a small grapefruit when retracted. It can open really big. I don’t feed it directly other than what it gets fed when broadcast feeding the fish. They can be aggressive with other corals. This thing has killed about 20 or so hammer polyps, and a couple other montis and zoas. It’s in a spot away from anything else these days. It can open pretty big when it wants, but it’s good for now at least.

View attachment 34101View attachment 34102
That’s a beauty, yea mine is away from everything also. And was doing pretty good but lately it seems to have lost color so that’s why I’m asking. I’m not sure exactly what’s changed considering I haven’t tested any water in a couple months ( I know crazy but it’s the way I do things) can’t chase numbers if you don’t know what they are lol, my corals tell me what they need.
I’ll keep an eye on it and try to feed it a little.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Here it is yesterday it looks lighter in the picture then it really is. It’s still around the same size when fully open. 7FC2107B-6BB4-4D59-A7B6-8FE197CBCDA1.jpeg

Years ago, (say 2005ish), there was a husband and wife who belonged to njreefers. They lived down near Great Adventure. They had 2 or 3 tanks packed with goniporas. They felt their success was due to target feeding and keeping a really dirty tank. They said that they had to clean the front glass on their tanks every day just so they could see the gonis.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Years ago, (say 2005ish), there was a husband and wife who belonged to njreefers. They lived down near Great Adventure. They had 2 or 3 tanks packed with goniporas. They felt their success was due to target feeding and keeping a really dirty tank. They said that they had to clean the front glass on their tanks every day just so they could see the gonis.

I also believe this to be true, seems to do better when the water is a little higher in nutrients, right now i have to clean my glass every two or three days so i know im a little lower. I was cleaning the glass every other day.
target fed last night and probably gonna feed twice a week to start

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Goni's are going to do best in a tank with low/med flow and higher nutrients. If your running lower phos and nitrate then spot feeding will definitely help. Ours grow like weeds but we keep them systems dirty ;)

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Goni's are going to do best in a tank with low/med flow and higher nutrients. If your running lower phos and nitrate then spot feeding will definitely help. Ours grow like weeds but we keep them systems dirty ;)
Yea just tested the water For the first time in four months and seems my nitrates have gone down to less than two and my phosphates are at .04 on the ultra low range so this could be why

I currently have 3 and they are easy to care. Flow!! they can take high flow too but do better in medium in my opinion. This one is in high flow and it’s growing and looks fantastic..
The green one was added last

Attachments

• 88049262-7622-4068-98AE-248CF2A22250.jpeg
    88049262-7622-4068-98AE-248CF2A22250.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • AB78D2FB-160D-42D9-9BD3-2DBC7FC3A719.jpeg
    AB78D2FB-160D-42D9-9BD3-2DBC7FC3A719.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 0BB17AD9-88FF-40FF-B3AF-B7C46FB8038A.jpeg
    0BB17AD9-88FF-40FF-B3AF-B7C46FB8038A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
Has any one here done a gony garden? Would that work as hammers?
I’m asking because I’m going to pick a few more and would like to try and see how it would look like... you think they’ll fight because they can do a lot of damage to other corals