• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Good deal on lighting for my 29g?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hamilton Power Compacts in 24"x12"x4" Black ABS Enclosure

4x55W Brand New Bulbs (2x 6700K, 2xBlue)

Polished Aluminum reflector

Fan

Fitted acyrlic UV filter/condensation cover

Brand new bulbs (even though I'd rather see 10k and actinics)

$85

Sound like a good deal?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok, that was really funny!

It does sound like a good deal though...I'm not a huge fan of PC's. Maybe you can look into a used T5 setup?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I'd actually really like a low watt MH setup, like a 175 10k with an actinic on both sides.

Saw one go for $125 on manhattanreefs the other day (or it might still be for sale, but with a line around the building to buy it).

But, this one is close, and has way more light than I probably really need, so hopefully it'll work out.

And if it doesn't, I'll hopefully be able to sell it for what I pay for it.

Is it because of the output/watt ratio that people don't like PCs so much these days?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think it's more the color you get from them as opposed to T5 or Halide.

I'm not sure, but I don't think PC's have a great PAR rating either.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Well, anyway you slice it, 220 watts on my 29g makes for one bright tank.

I actually think I like the color of the 6700s and the actinics together, too, and I was worried I'd be replacing the bulbs for 10k's.

One of my zoo's let go from a rock and was floating around my tank, so I rinsed it off really well and then glued it to a rock in the new tank. See how that baby likes that and go from there.

I also have to build some sort of top for the tank, as the light fixture doesn't fit it very well @ all.