• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Good HQI manufactuers for 12-14K color temp.

It's time to change the HQIs...

Six months in to the life of my stock 150W 10K for my current fixture, I decided to swap them out for 14K from Current. I like the bluer effect of the 14K combined with my 130W 420-460 Nm PCs, but once in a wile one of the bulbs will burn a little yellower that the other (sometimes just for an hour).

The next day it starts up fine again.

I saw the XMs, and their 15K looks too white, almost like a 10K. How about Ushio or some others?

I want bluer color but I also want good growth.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Erik R.

Phoenix makes what is regarded to be one of the best 14K 150W bulbs out there. Kicks but in the par department too. I'm currently running one now and am happy with it. I have some pics in my nano thread of the tank. (hopeful update coming Tuesday)

The Hamilton 14k should be right up your alley as well.

Can't comment on the Ushio bulbs

XM 15k bulbs are garbage. Shame since the 10k and 20k bulbs are good.

How old are your pc bulbs? Might consider retrofitting to t5s for a better color combination/play in the future.

Always heard very good things about Aqualine AB HQI bulbs (and they are probably the ones I'll switch to in a few months).

Cool, thanks Guys. ;)

I'd consider converting the outer orbit's PCs to T-5s. They do have a T-5 version of the same fixture, but I'm not sure what ballasts would fit into the canopy. Current would probably want to charge an arm and a leg for their ballasts and reflectors.

Then again, by the time I need to change the PCs again (next June)I'll probably go all T-5 and sell my unit. ;D

Erik

How any bulb looks is somewhat subjective. Also, how any tank looks with any typical bulb, be it 10000K or 13000K to 15000K or even 20000K is often a matter of personal choice, although you do need to consider the needs of your livestock.

Keep in mind that many manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic" when it comes to bulb specs. I highly recommend you consult Sanjays excellent web pages and articles for data on exactly what a given bulb will put out. See the information here (offsite link) - http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd give the new IceCap bulbs a shot (oh wait, I am and really like them). After all they are a major club sponsor.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
I'd give the new IceCap bulbs a shot (oh wait, I am and really like them). After all they are a major club sponsor.
I'm also running the new IceCap 14Ks. Nice bulbs!

Bob

I replaced my generic 250W - 10K bulbs with Ushio 10K's and learned how subjective this discussion really is. I think the Ushio's are a bit white for my taste, but was able to fix that with using 2- 96W 420-460K PC's. The only problem is the tank is very blue during dawn and dusk.

On the other hand, now that the corals have adjusted(after 6 months), growth has begun to take off. The Monti's especially are showing noticeable growth after not seeing them for just 2 days.

Rob