• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Got a heater issue

Good Afternoon all, I recently had a heater fail and tank temp drop to around 73 before I noticed. Not a big deal, but I realize I need a better setup. I got a finnex hmx heater which works well with the digital control that shows temp, and I also got the Finnex hc-0810m temperature controller mainly for a backup control, but it also has an audible alarm for high or low temperature. Problem is, when the temp drops and it switches to heating mode, the heater briefly comes on then turns off. I am thinking I just have a bad unit, but maybe I should be doing something else? Without the budget for a neptune, what would you all suggest? Thanks in advance!

I don't have the best answer for you. But what I did on my first tank was to use multiple slightly undersized heaters. If any stuck on, it wouldn't overheat the tank which I had read was an all too often problem. If any quit working, my temp wouldn't drop too much. Of course that meant 2 heaters in my tank. I am doing the same in the 2nd tank with a sump. Also, less powerful heaters are smaller and fit in my cramped sump better. I am sure there are better ways with controllers, but my budget doesn't allow that at this time.

You could pick up an ink bird heater controller for like $30.

For the heater that turns off when the controller turns on if the heater has a internal thermostat you might have to turn it up a little. Because the heater might be turning itself off before the controller tells it to turn off.