• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Greetings!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hello everyone,

Long time freshwater, n00b to saltwater.

I currently have a 29 gallon freshwater cichlid tank that's been established and running (relatively) maint free for years.

I've just changed my 55 gallon oscar tank to a saltwater tank.

About 2 weeks ago, I filled the tank with salty goodness, threw in 40 lbs of 'live' substrate, 35 lbs of previously live rock, and 40 lbs of currently live rock. I also bought a $.99 hermit crab who'se about 2 inches across his shell.

Anyway, the tank set for a few weeks, the hermit crab loving the space, and then 3 days ago I bought 2 damsels and stuck in there. Those guys are loving it. Swimming constantly, trying to eat anything they can find. I also got a few crabs and snails to stick in there, and am currently considering a clown.

Right now, my tank has a 35w flourescent bulb that's been in there for about 5 years, so coral isn't necessarily an option, but in the near future, I'll probably change that. I'm a DIY kind of guy for most things.

Just wanted to say hi. Oh, I'm located in 'central' jersey, in the Princeton area....well, actually 1/2 way between Princeton and New Brunswick...but we get the luxury of paying the Princetonian taxes.

:)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the forum! It's great that you found us here. It sounds like you're off to a good start. Post some pics when you get a chance. As always, feel free to ask any questions you may have. Someone here is bound to have the answer for you or at least point you in the right direction.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Pictures?

Not very good at taking pics of the moving fish, yet, but here's a picture of the tank that i took right after I set it up:

bigtuna047.jpg

A picture of the damsel...which, after reading a lot, may never EVER leave the tank. ;)

bluefishupclose.jpg

My crab. He rules.

hermydeuce.jpg

Freshies...

pleco1.jpg

convicts1.jpg

C

concept3

sup! welcome aboard! lookin forward to seeing you in our meetings (next meeting is central!) and sharing your ideas/knowledge with everyone... we also do some major frag trading/selling at the meetings, so stocking your new tank should be fairly easy and cheap

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Welcome you have found a great club. There are alot of people here always will to help. I live not to far from you so if you need anything let me know.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I need some fish, some lights, some coral, a bigger tank, a sump/refugium, more fish, an even bigger tank, a RO setup and a hand when I go on vacation.

;)

Actually, I'm trying my best to take this slowly...

Hi subliminal! :)

Your setup is looking good! I'm still in the planning stages of my future setup, so you're wayyyyy ahead of me.
This is an awesome place to be!

---
Wendy

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Thanks!

I'm trying to wrap my mind (and camera) around shooting the fishtanks. I haven't quite gotten it yet.

Here's a few from the other tank:

convict1.jpg

convict2.jpg

convict3.jpg

convict4.jpg

C

concept3

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

looks like tilapia

mmmmmmmmmmm

fried tilapia! LOL